We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Which Curitiba hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

I'm sure you've all read and heard the news that FIFA is threatening to exclude Curitiba from the world cup because the stadium is behind schedule. As someone who has booked and paid for airfares and accommodation I am more than a little concerned. Does anyone have any local inside information on this? What are they saying in Curitiba? Will they be ready?

Manchester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

There are thousands of people who have booked hotel and flights, which are non refundable. this is a joke. i hope, and i think the stadium will be complete, because the loss to the city is in millions of $, its very hard to change the 4 games to other cities...

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,207 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

i dont think anyone will get any hard news until Feb.18. everything until then will be wild speculation.

in the realm of speculation, one must distinguish what is "for real" and what is "for show".

as mentioned above, moving 4 matches at this point in time is really challenging. cant believe for a minute that would be done unless in the most extreme circumstances.

FIFA secretary general had these words today in Rio: "after meetings and commitments made, we are optimistic about Curitiba stadium. we will assess it on Feb. 18. we expect stadium to be ready by end of April".

a local Curitiba paper published that the litmus test on Feb. 18 will be whether construction has advanced to the point that, by such date, roof, lighting, lawn, access to locker rooms, and at least 10,000 seats are ready.

the public threat to kick out Curitiba probably had some other targets. and it seems to have accomplished its goal... somehow, an additional R$39 million state govt loan has materialized, and a 30% increase in number of construction workers.

it is a weird world when you get FIFA, construction companies, soccer teams and different levels of government involved in something.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Thanks gents. I figured as much. FIFA grandstanding as usual. Good to hear the news on the ground. They would face a huge backlash from spectators and tourists if they changed venues.

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Has anybody actually got match tickets to Curitiba matches, apart from the team-specific tickets? I seem to recall from admittedly anecdotal evidence that very few had been allocated in the first two rounds of ticketing, suggesting that FIFA have been holding off on selling them until they were sure Curitiba was ready. Still seems pretty unlikely that they would move those matches, though. Looking at the schedule, they could plausibly move the Iran-Nigeria match to Sao Paulo as the schedule's wide open, but tough to move the other three matches without significant upheaval in the tournament, and it would be terrible for everyone involved. Maybe in the worst case scenario they move the matches to the other stadium in Curitiba? Oh well, we'll know soon enough.

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Our listings of fans have 47 tickets for Curitiba. I am not sure about grandstanding but in reality a firework up eh backside of some groups who have not done as requested. From the word go FIFA kept saying the work on stadia was being taken too lightly and would in some cases never meet the initial schedule.

At the end of the day though I do not believe there is a chance of not using the city now. The rearranging would be a logistical nightmare and the reputation of the city would be in tatters.

6. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 19:35
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

I too doubt they'd move the games.

I recall Polokwane in South Africa was supposed to have a roof over all the sides, but come the world cup, there was only a roof over one.

Push comes to shove, they'll sacrifice a few luxuries but the games will be in Curitiba.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
940 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Hi everybody,

I am a supporter of Atletico Paranaense and follows closely what it happening with my club. Yesterday Mr Petraglia, the club president, gave a long interview in the club's radio (Radio CAP) and assured that the World Cup will be held in Curitiba - in other words that the stadium will be ready. But we will only know for sure after the deadline of Fev. 18th. I think that also should be taken in consideration that 2014 is an electoral year and there are lot of stuff at stake for the goverment of Parana - if the WC is not in Curitiba they will have the image stained impairing their chances of reelection.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Madison, Wisconsin...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

Bumping this.

There is a significant chance this could fall through.

I paid for my FIFA World Cup tickets, my airplane tickets, and my accomodations already. Any recommendations on what to do?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will Curitiba stadium be ready?

ESPN is reporting: "Curitiba set to be stripped of games". I don't see any sources cited, but their article this morning states: "FIFA is set to announce on Tuesday that Curitiba has been removed from the list of host cities for the World Cup due to delays in construction of the Arena de Baixada."

Needless to say, if this is true this is going to cause some massive problems with the fans who have purchased tickets, flights and accommodations, not to mention the issues with the city of Curitiba and its businesses. Then there is the whole issue of where the 4 games will be played.

Still waiting on the official word from FIFA.