We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

We will be on a cruise that ends Nov 29 in the port city of Santos. We will be transferred to Sao Paulo (GRU) for our flight back to the States. We are thinking we would like to extend our trip and visit the Falls for two nights. Not knowing when we will actually arrive at the airport, I am looking at a flight that leaves GRU at 3:40 PM and arrives IGU at 5:10.

Even though the Tropical Hotel inside the park has had mixed reviews at best (overpriced and old), I’m thinking with our limited time, we should consider this hotel. I am “assuming” even by arriving after the park is closed, it would still be light outside and we would still be able to take a trail down to view the Falls that night??? We stayed at The Sanctuary Lodge at Machu Picheau and we especially enjoyed being able to stay there after the day trippers left.

Then the next day could be spent touring the Brazilian side again early in the morning, then going over to the Argentina side and viewing the other area attractions.

The return flight, the following day, would not leave until 1:35 so we would have the morning for additional sightseeing.

My question is since the hotel is isolated, would we need to hire a guide/tour company in advance, request a guide from the hotel, or hire a taxi at park entrance on our own to do our sightseeing for day 2 and the morning of day 3?

Any suggestions or recommendations of a tour guide/operator would be appreciated and any general suggestions would be appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

Sounds like you have some travel experience and can afford a car. I'd rent a car at the airport (assuming you can park overnight at the parking lot outside the Brazilian Falls park) or alternately hire a taxi for the day (negotiate an all day price up front). Your hotel will also have some helpful tips but a guided tour is not something I think you will need or find convenient. Everything is close and easy to find. See:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303444-i4551-k378…

Also try clicking on the "Foz de Iguacu forum" link and reading through some of the posts and you'll get more helpful information than you will find in any guidebook.

Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

Thanks Rob for your quick reply.

I think we would be more comfortable hiring a taxi driver for the day versus renting a car. Do you have an idea of what the cost might be for a taxi driver for the day? Would we "negotiate" with him or are the prices fairly fixed? Do you think we could get a taxi driver at the hotel? And, lastly, would a taxi driver be able to understand English?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

Do you have an idea of what the cost might be for a taxi driver for the day?

Would we "negotiate" with him or are the prices fairly fixed?

You will need to negotiate since you will be off the meter. Never having done it I can't give you any idea of price. I've seen a post where it was suggested going by taxi from Iguacu, Braxzil, to Iguassu, Argentina would cost you US$40. one way.

Do you think we could get a taxi driver at the hotel?

Certainly.

And, lastly, would a taxi driver be able to understand English?

Probably not, on average, from what I could see.

Sorry if I haven't been of more help.

However, for yet another alternative (bus), see Erico's helpful post at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303444-i4551-k613…

4. Re: Post Cruise Trip to the Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:20