We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iguaçu Falls rent a car possibility

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Iguaçu Falls rent a car possibility

Sience we plan to land at Foz do Iguacu airport and fly from there 2 and half day latter Is it possible to rent a car on Foz do Iguacu airport and cross the border with the car to Anrgentina side of the falls and back?

By the way if its possible ,can we go alone ( wuthout a guide) by the car to visit Itaipu dam any time of the day ?Is there opening hour ? How long its take ?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iguaçu Falls rent a car possibility

Hi Tel Aviv!

We visited Iguasu Falls by car. We rented from São Paulo and drove across Parana state to the falls. Roads in Brazil are well-paved, including the Iguasu Falls region itself.

We stopped by Itaipu Dam. You are not permitted to come and go as you please there, unfortunately, nor is there a place you can park within sight of the dam. The only way to see it is by joining a tour group, which they make you do when you arrive, for a 2-hour guided tour. Freelance visiting is not allowed.

The guided tours do not always leave at convenient times. Pre-book by contacting the dam office, or you may have a wait.

We didn't take our São Paulo car to Argentina (or Paraguay, which we also visited) because the car rental firm insisted that its car was not allowed to be driven outside the borders of Brazil. I don't know whether a Foz do Iguaçu car would be allowed by its owner to be taken into Argentina, even if merely to the Argentine National Park near Puerto Iguazu, but even if you could get permission, I doubt that it would be economical.

Check with a rental firm in Foz do Iguaçu. Another writer said that taking a rental car across the border at Iguasu Falls is easy, but I find this difficult to believe. I have done cross-border rentals in Argentina and Chile, and I know first-hand that you can do it, but only at considerable expense and a lot of red tape.

To do it in Argentina and Chile, we had to pay about US$200 for special letters of cross-border permission and insurance valid in the other country. The car windows had to have the vehicle registration number specially etched into the glass. There were lengthy delays at customs while the authorities processed our car into the new country, and then repeat the procedure when we crossed back.

Also, car rentals in South America are more expensive anyway than we in North America are used to, and much more expensive than in Europe.

For local transportation in the Iguasu Falls region, you may find it more economical simply to take taxis. It costs US$20-$30 maximum anywhere in the region, and taximen in their specially marked vehicles routinely cross the border.

I emphasize that we had a car ourselves, and we found unparalleled the convenience of having our own wheels to get wherever we wanted at our own pace. Driving in the Iguasu Falls region of Brazil is easy and the roads are good. (We also had no trouble driving in the rest of southern Brazil.) Cross-border travel is a different thing, however. Check with your Foz do Iguaçu rental firm for their view.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iguaçu Falls rent a car possibility

I rented a car from Hertz in Foz do Iguaçu airport with the clear understanding that I could drive it into Argentina. Actually I stayed at the Sheraton Cataratas. There was no problem at all and the car was covered by insurance. Paraguay is a different matter, insurance will not cover it, on the other hand there is not much to see in Paraguay.

This was a few years back but I see no reason for it to have changed.

3. Re: Iguaçu Falls rent a car possibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 22:18