We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

Adjuntas, Puerto...
Level Contributor
147 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

I went in late June and it was really cold! Be advised that in the border of Brazil and Argentina you need to get out of the Bus to get your passport stamped, I was able to get back into the bus but I imagine that if for some reason you are delayed in the stamping process your bus may depart. To clarify, this is when you are a crossing from Brazil to Argentina. Also the lady at the bus station in Puerto Iguazú told me that the to get in to the Park (the Falls on the Argentina side) they only accept Argentinan Pesos and no USD or Reales or even credit cards! I was really surprised and ask her twice in Spanish to be sure about this, so because I didn’t have pesos, I had to go to an ATM, but the closest to the station didn’t let you use a debit card supported by the PLUS system, in other words your US issued credit card will not work there, so I had to walk to the other side of the town till I got to the National Bank where I was able to get some pesos. With all this I lose the bus and had to wait for the other one. I knew that there is an ATM machine in the Park but knowing that sometimes you cant get money out (as it happened many times in Brazil) I was not going to take the risk of getting there to learn later that the ATM doesn’t accept my card.

On my way back from the falls I thought that the bus was going back to the main bus station, but the bus just pass in front so you need to be watching carefully otherwise you will end up in other part of the town. I tried to squeeze a visit to the Brazilian side of the falls that same day but the last bus going or stopping close to Foz do Iguacu Falls was already gone by 2:30 (aprox).

Although it wasnt as easy as I thought, going to Puerto Iguazu from Foz on my own (at least for me) it was well worth it, since nothing compare to the beauty of the falls. it was probably the highlight of my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu
Province of Misiones, Argentina
Rennes, France
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

thk you for those informations

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

Did you go to devils throat or is that on the other side? Curious I saw on another post that part of the walkway at devils throat was washed away from floods recently and was closed. And boat up to falls is also closed.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
37 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

I just went to the park yesterday. The trail to devil's throat on argentine side was partially closed. We could walk for 900 meters, but they are repairing the last few hundred meters. The boat trip was running on both sides.

Wirral UK
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
862 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

We were there a few days ago. All of the walkway were fine all the way to the Devils Throat. It was closed for a few days due to the high level of the water at the falls. There has been high rainfall up river and the volume of water has risen to close to the walkway levels. It was fully open a few days ago, but the doorman at our hotel said he had heard it would close again soon - again due to high water levels, not damage to the walkways. when we were there the volume of water across the falls was nearly twice the average level - wow - really spectacular!! Nature at its most powerfull.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 03:17
5. Re: Back from Iguacú..some thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 14:16