We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

Toronto
Level Contributor
309 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

Hi,

1) I have a Canadian passport with Brazilian visa. If I go to Argentinian side, do I need anything? I read the checks are not very strict and Brazilian/Argentinian officials will not stamp the passports in order to have any single entry visas still valid. One person in our group has a Russian and a Canadian passport. So entering Brazil is on Russian passport (no visa requirements). Not sure about what to do with Argentinian visit. Use Canadian passport to enter and Russian pasport to leave back to Brazil?

2) Canadian citizens need to pay an entrance fee when flying in to Argentina, is this the case when crossing on foot/by bus?

3) We have a full day (7am-7am next morning) on the Brazilian side, would this be enough to see both sides of the falls, or should I extend the trip by a day in that area (doing so would take away from time in other places, so if it's doable in a day, I'd rather not prolong the stay at Iguasu)

4) I'm in the process of booking the hotel - where should I aim for? Closer to the airport and hence the Brazilian falls, or closer to the town of Iguasu and hence easier access to Argentina?

5) If we do decide to see both sides, how is it best done? Argentina first, Brazil second? What are the steps? (i.e. take bus from Iguasu town to Argentina, take bus back to Brazil, take a 3rd bus from Iguasu town to Brazilian falls?) Perhaps we should rent a car instead? Or take a taxi (cross border taxis exist?)

any other tips or precautions would be appreciated.I read several travel guides and they all say different things and none give exact routes/steps on how to see both sides

brazilian site for the park doesn't have a version in english, so it's very difficult to navigate. not sure if this information is covered on there. http://www.cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/

Thank you

Edited: 29 February 2012, 04:40
Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

Hi Toronto!

With your Canadian passport, you do not need a visa to cross by land from Brazil to Argentina. You do not pay the arrival tax either.

An arrival tax would be payable with a Canadian passport if you flew into one of the Buenos Aires airports. This tax is not collected if you cross the border by land or water, though. Just by air.

Always check the Canadian External Affairs website for up to the minute info, but I understand that Canadians do not require visas for Argentina. You should expect to get a passport stamp at the border in Puerto Iguazu, however, and to get stamped back out of Argentina when you re-enter Brazil.

When we traveled to Brazil on the usual tourist visas, we had no trouble re-entering Brazil from Argentina. Brazil has no special arrival tax that's not already built into your plane ticket.

You can physically complete a satisfactory visit to both sides in one long day, but we found it better to have at least two. It's hot. Once you're there, you'll probably be glad for the opportunity to rest rather than having to set out immediately, after an exhausting morning, to the other side of the river.

The Brazilian side will take at least a half-day. Try to do it in the morning, when the sun will illuminate the panoramic view of the falls. In Brazil, you'll probably also wish to visit the Bird Park just outside the national park gates. It probably doesn't matter how close you stay to the border because you'll be using motorized transportation to go to Argentina. Except for the swank Cataratas Hotel inside the Brazilian park, and the Sheraton in the Argentine park, no hotels are within a practical walking distance of the falls. The international bridge (which is the only way you can cross the border; no crossings are possible at the falls itself) is about 20 km from the actual falls.

Argentina is where you'll do more walking, although not excessively more. Both banks of the Iguasu River are the same length. In Argentina you can also walk out to the lip of the grand falls (Brazil, though, is where you get closest to the base of the grand falls) and down to the two-level falls.

When we visited the Brazilian side, we had our own rental car, but that's because we'd driven ourselves from São Paulo. I'm of the view that in the Iguasu region itself, a car is not worth the trouble and expense because of the cross-border formalities. If you'll be flying in and out, it's simpler and cheaper to take a taxi, or even the bus, when you need to cross the border.

When we visited the Brazilian falls, it was on a bus, provided free of charge by the company that sold us boat tour tickets. Our car wasn't authorized for the crossing into Argentina, so we went there in a taxi.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 01 March 2012, 15:02
Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Puerto Iguazu
Puerto Iguazu
Province of Misiones, Argentina
Toronto
Level Contributor
309 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

David, thank you so much for such an informative and detailed response. This clears a lot of things for me.

We'll be going in May, so hot temperatures shouldn't be a problem.

How easy is it to get a taxi on both sides? Should we call ahead, or can I hail one on the street?

How much is the taxi (just so I have an idea)? $10, $40, $100?

If going by bus, what is the procedure over at the border? (I'm assuming get out of the bus, get the passports stamped by Argentinian authorities, get back on bus)

And going back it's the same thing?

In terms of things to do - are there several trails on both sides? If so, is there one you liked better?

Malta
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

My boyfriend and I will also be in Foz do Iguacu in May and we too will be crossing over to Argentina for a day. What is the best option? Are buses efficient or is a cab better to save time?

Many Thanks

Daniela

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
4. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2013, 16:38
Malta
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

Thanks for your reply.

Are taxis expensive? What would it cost for this trip?

Many Thanks

Daniela

6. Re: Visiting falls on both sides with CAD passport + other Qs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:41