We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foz du Iguazu to Itaipu Dam

Which Foz do Iguacu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fillmore, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Foz du Iguazu to Itaipu Dam

I will be traveling alone and would like to make 2 trips to the Itaipu Dam one, for the special tour and one for the night light show offered on Saturdays. I can find information about the tickets, but not how to get from town to the dam.....could someone give me options and approximate cost? I am especially concerned for the night show as it doesn't even start to 9 pm Thanks

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foz du Iguazu to Itaipu Dam

You can always take a taxi. There are plenty of them in town.

I don't know whether the dam offers any sort of shuttle service. Ordinarily, you wouldn't think of a shuttle service with a dam, but I know that group tours go out there all the time. Check with the dam and with your hotel.

If going on your own, remember that this is not the kind of dam where you can just show up and go, or just have a look from the highway. There is no view at all from the road, and for security reasons freelance visitors are not allowed to just drive in on your own. You have to be accompanied by a guide with a group, and you need reservations. (Also, you'll probably want a group touring in English.) The tours are somewhat involved, so plan ahead for a time and an English group.

When we visited, we traveled in our own rental car. Ordinarily, you wouldn't need your own wheels just to see the falls and downtown Foz do Iguaçu, the Brazilian city. But it's 10 miles from the city north to the dam, and another 15 miles from the city south to Iguasu Falls in the opposite direction. There's also the fancy Buddhist Temple to see on the way to the dam. If you need flexibility within Brazil, and don't like taxis, this is the way that worked for us. (We had driven to Iguasu Falls from São Paulo.)

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

2. Re: Foz du Iguazu to Itaipu Dam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:18