We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Which Foz do Iguacu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

I have been looking for a while online and for maps and cannot find a definitive answer!

On the map I can see Foz du Iguacu, which I assume is the town in Brazil called by that name? But I want to know exactly where the falls are so I can try and book a hotel which is as close to it as possible!

Any help would be appreciated :)

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Hi, the falls are in the Parque Nacional Iguazu. Bordering Brazil and Argentina. There are 2 x5* hotels in the park, one each in Brazil & Argentina. Otherwise there are many hotels in either Puerto de Iguazu (Argentina) or Fos do Iguacu. The towns are approx 15-20 mins from the entrance. The view from both sides of the falls are amazing. Truely natures wonder

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

So if I look at the map, it is at the bottom of the kind of horse shoe bend?

And if I stay at the Hotel das Cataratas, that would be right next to the falls then?

Edited: 10 October 2013, 10:26
Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Hi London!

The grand falls sits just about at the middle of the "horseshoe" bend you're seeing on the map.

Remember that the falls continue more than a mile down the Argentine side from the middle of the bend. (Down, of course, is in the direction of the Parana River. Argentina owns the outside bank of the "horseshoe," Brazil the inside bank.)

The actual falls lie in national parks, one in Brazil and the other in Argentina. Each national park has a super expensive hotel inside, the Sheraton in Argentina and the Cataratas in Brazil, each located over a mile from the grand falls.

The Brazilian city of Foz do Iguaçu is 15 miles away from the Brazilian falls. The Argentine town of Puerto Iguazu lies about 10 miles from the Argentine falls.

David

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Hi David,

Thanks for that. So would you say the view from the Brazilian side is better than the Argentinian side?

And do you know how far the falls are from the IGU Airport?

Many thanks, Barney

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Hi Barney!

Yes, Brazil gets the best view.

Remember that the falls extend for a mile along the Argentine side. That means that Argentina gets no panoramic view. In fact, the geography of Iguasu gives Argentina no close-up view of the grand falls. Argentina had to create one, by building a half-mile long cat walk out over the river above the falls to as close as they dare to the lip of the grand falls. From this vantage point, you can see water starting over the edge, but not down.

From Brazil, though, you can walk more than a mile with a continuous panoramic view of the Argentine falls. And Brazil has the only view from near the base of the grand falls looking up.

Both airports, IGR the Argentine airport and its Brazilian counterpart IGU, lie about 5 miles from the actual falls. Remember, though, the respective airports have no direct access to the national park inside the other country. To get to the Brazilian falls from IGR, the Argentine airport, you must drive 10 miles the wrong way to a bridge in the Argentine town of Puerto Iguazu, cross the border and go through customs there, then drive another 10 back up the river to the Brazilian national park.

David

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

Hi David,

Thank you for that - which hotel did you stay in during your stay there and would you recommend it?

We are flying into IGU and I intend to stay on the Brazilian side - so that should be straight forward enough shouldn't it? Hopefully!

Barney

7. Re: Exact location of Foz do Iguacu??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu