We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel das Cataratas

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel das Cataratas

I have just booked 2 nights at Hotel das Cataratas for my wife and I next August and just had a few questions:

1. If you've stayed there before, did you enjoy your stay?

2. How far is it from IGU Airport and how much did it cost to travel from the aiport to the hotel?

3. Do we need to pay to see the falls?

Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

Anyone?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,373 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

there are more than 1,000 reviews of Hotel das Cataratas in trip advisor, you just have to look in the right place:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303444-d313150…

whenever you want to find out about a hotel, city, etc, just use the search box on top right-hand side of TA webpage and you will get to it.

London
Level Contributor
165 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

Thanks for that Rokatoo, but is there an area on those pages with answers to specific questions?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

Hi London!

I'm just seeing your questions for the first time. Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner!

1) The Brazilian Airport IGU is about 5 miles from the Hotel Cataratas, which is located inside the Brazilian national park. I'm going to guess that the taxi will be between £5-10. It shouldn't be more.

2) Guests in the Cataratas (they've given it the fancy name the "Cataratas Orient Express" now because it lies on the east bank of the Iguasu River. Get it? East! Orient!) can wander freely in the park after the national park gates are closed to everybody else.

I notice that the hotel boasts of being located right alongside the Iguasu Falls. There's a bit of trader's puff in this claim, however. It's true that the Cataratas is the only hotel in the Brazilian national park, and it's near the river, but it's almost two walking miles from the grand falls.

3) I've been into the Cataratas, but I've not overnighted there. I can't afford it! I stayed at a more moderate £50 hotel on the highway a few miles beyond the park gates. The Cataratas looks elegant enough. I'm sure you will pay well for your hospitality.

Ask me any question, and I'm sorry no one replied to your queries earlier.

David

Brazil
Level Contributor
285 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

Cataratas is, indeed, a very nice hotel. Inside the (huge) park. You get a view from the falls from many rooms, service is nice. But, once there, you rely on taxis to get anything, because you are not in the city (which has no special appeal). Meals tend to be expensive, but I gess it is not an issue if you can afford the rooms. You stay inside the park, which means you do not have to pay for the falls (it is not expensive, anywiay). And may stay there as long as you want, while other tourists will have to leave at closing hours. THey even have a nice "moon tour" to the falls in special evenings, guests only.

It is close to the airport, any taxi will take you there for let's say 20-3o dollars.

Argentina has its "counter-part" hotel, a Sheraton, if I remember. Less expensive, less exclusive, also good.

Have a nice trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

1. I'm there now. It's lovely.

2. It's not far and cost me 20 real. Be aware though that the airport cabs can only take you to the park gates. They are not allowed into the park itself. You need to wait for a hotel shuttle to take you the rest of the way. This is free.

3. Not if you stay at the Cataratas as this is within the park.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 22:12
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

I´ve stayed there ,great hotel (and its not cheap). You can see the falls any time you want. 20 -30 minutes from hotel (I asked transport from the hotel, cant remember how much they charged me).

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

" (they've given it the fancy name the "Cataratas Orient Express" now because it lies on the east bank of the Iguasu River. Get it? East! Orient!)"

That's not the reason. It belongs now to the Orient Express company, like the Copa in Rio.

Houston
Level Contributor
70 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

1. You made the best choice - the hotel is beautiful and well run. As noted by other replies you are actually staying in the park on the Brazil side and after the park closes/before it opens only hotel guests have access. There is actually an overlook right at the base of the hotel grounds - we were having drinks in the hotel bar and decided it would be nice to watch the sunset over the falls, walked 2 minutes down the steps, watched the sunset and returned to our drinks in the bar. Then, before the park opened, in the early morning, we walked the entire path on the Brazil side - with only a few other hotel guests to be seen on the whole walk. Felt like we had the falls to ourselves.

2. Airport on the Brazil side is next door to the park - about 10 minute drive from the hotel.

3. No charge to see the falls from the Brazil side (as you are already in the park when at the hotel). I highly recommend a visit to the Argentine side as you get a different view and are more surrounded by the falls in the park on that side.

Mexico City
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel das Cataratas

It is a great hotel (not cheap), but great. It takes 15 minutes from the airport, ten of those within the park. The hotel transportation company, Iguazu Experiences, is terrific and has great coordination and drivers. Have the hotel pick you up. The Falls are across the street - you can visit early in the morning before it gets hot and before there are people there. I was the only person on the entire walkway last Saturday at 7 am. I saw several animals (coatis, some type of large rat, birds) but no people for the entire walk and had the falls to myself. No elevator up early but it is an easy climb. Door to door from hotel and entire walking path and viewing platform and return takes an hour if you are enjoying the sites and 30 minutes if you are looking for a workout. The hotel rate includes park entry fee. No extra fee to see the falls. Macuco Safari just down the road well worth it - jogging early AM allows you to see lots of animals (deer, some type of small cat hunting).