We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

st helens merseyside
Level Contributor
217 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

Can anyone tell me how far it is to the beach as i understand that this hotel is very central and could you recommend any cheap inexpensive places to eat and drink in i would like to try more local food rather than sit in pure tourisity bars and restaurants.

Angela

Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

When you ask how far is to "the beach", it is difficult to answer because Buzios is a peninsula with over twenty beaches. The closest beach to Abracadabra is maybe 250 meters, just at the bottom of the street - Alto do Humaita´. This is Praia da Armação, but I would not recommend it as a beach for several reasons. Most importantly there are many many boats which are anchored directly in front of the beach, with the associated discharge from boats. Secondly, it does not have much of a beach at low tide and almost no beach at all at high tide. You will see very few people in the water there, unless they are wading out to take pictures with the statues of the fishermen. Praia do Canto and Praia dos Ossos are quite close as well, but also suffer from being the primary anchorages. Within a twenty to twentyfive minute walk you can find Azeda/Azedinha, João Fernandes/Fernandinho, Brava, do Forno and Ferradura. Azeda/Azedinha, João Fernandes and Tartaruga can all be reached on the water taxis. Geriba is a short van ride and walk away - as is Tartaruga. Each beach has slightly to markedly different characteristics. Some are more isolated (a relative term) with fewer people and less infrastructure such as bars and restaurants. Some are open to the waves and some are more frequently calmer. Some have water that is a little warmer so they are better for swimming, some are more open to the South Atlantic and have water that tends to be a bit colder. All in all, you will have many beaches within a reasonably close distance from the central area, and almost all beaches in Buzios are easily accessible. Perhaps if you could be more specific as to the type of beach you would prefer, a more definitive response could be offered.

There are few restaurants in the central area which are primarily frequented by locals, as most are oriented toward the tourist trade. Carla Gormet is an exception. As you go towards Geriba and Manguinhos you will find more of a mix. These are accessible by a van (R$2 per person) or a taxi. You can find comida a kilo (buffet) restaurants and small establishments that are more reasonably priced than some of the more obviously high end tourist restaurants.

I hope this helps

Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

To see the government's evaluation of water quality, go to ief.rj.gov.br/fma/balneabilidade-praias.asp put your mouse on Buzios and click. You will need to allow popups to see the ratings.

A thanks to Brazil-Rio on the Rio de Janeiro board for making me aware of the link.

st helens merseyside
Level Contributor
217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

thank you for that info we are looking for a beach with warm water!!!

Some facilities sun beds, shade, bar etc

any you can recommend

Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

Hey Angela

from what you say, I would think that Joâo Fernandes, Ferradura or Tartaruga would be the beaches that you wold find most satisfactory, however, none of them would qualify as the "non tourist" location - particularly during January-February. This is the ultimate of high season aside from Revellion or Carnaval and you will find that prices are the highest for the year. The old song of supply and demand.....

5. Re: how far is the beach from abracadabra hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Armacao dos Buzios