We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

1 post
Save Topic
Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

I'm going to Buzios during its low season in April with my best friend we are two single woman in our 30's, is there much to do then?

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

Two Single woman in Buzios?well actually i think you will have more fun in Cabo Frio which has wonderful beaches and a full infrastructure with nightclubs,restaurantes and good hotels.I think it´s a great place where you have everything you need without the hectic pulse.It´s only an hour from Buzios so check it out when you are there.

Buzios has everything but things there are a bit expensive and during that time can be little deserted.

Zeze

Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

In mid-April, just after semana santa, you will find Buzios a wonderful place to visit. During the day the average high temperature is in the upper 20's (27-28 C .... upper 70's to low 80's F) so it is great beach weather. At night, it will cool off a little (about 21 C or 70 F) so it is really quite comfortable. You will find the beaches less crowded, but certainly not isolated.

At night, in the central area you will find that the restaurants are not so crowded to the point where you have to wait for a table, but there are still lots of people around. Your first evening, being a wednesday, will be less crowded, but as the weekend approaches, and certainly friday night, there will be lots of folks. There will be bars and clubs that will be open.

April is on the back end of the high season, but it is not LOW season either. The prices are not those of the high season. Personally, I find Cabo Frio to be a city of little charm. It certainly is more agitated and busy than Buzios. There are some very nice beaches there, but you will find the beaches of Buzios to be superior.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

Has anyone taken a water taxi from Rio to Buzios? How frequently do they run and is it worth it versus paying $70 for a day trip tour on a bigger boat?

Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

I am unaware of any "water taxi" from Rio to Buzios. Water taxis are small, low freeboard skiffs that handle about 6 passengers and operate from Praia Tartaruga to Praia Joao Fernandinho. They are just to take you from one beach to another. The schooner ride is a two to three hour affair, free soft drinks and caparinhas, stopping at several beaches and going to a couple of islands to allow for swimming. They are completely different experiences. Schooner rides are, I think, in the R$35-40 range.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

Does the Schooner take you from Rio to Buzios? If not, what is the best (cheap yet fast) way to get there?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

Best way to go from Rio to Buzios, in my opinion, is by transfer with that company: www.mistertours.com.br (R$ 70,00)

The second option would be to take the regular bus line from the company 1001 (www.viacao1001.com.br) at Rio Interstate bus terminal (Rodoviária Novo Rio), which is one of the most disorderly and messy places in the world, straight to Buzios (around R$ 48,00).

Edited: 27 March 2012, 13:00
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

There are no Schooner or regular boat / ferry services available from Rio to Buzios (it is not such a short distance (180km), and it is an open sea way to that, not in a bay area).

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

SBT422,

I understand when Brazilswed advise you to stay in Cabo Frio. It is a bigger city, with many things to do all over the year.

But I would highly recommend you to stay in the very charming Buzios over Cabo Frio. Buzios still preserve the atmosphere of a small fishermen village while it has many options of fine stores, bar, restaurant and an emblemetic pedestrian street with lots of action: the Rua (street) das Pedras. By this time (mid April) you will be right between two holiday periods (Eastern and a national holiday, the 21st April), so it will be, certainly a very good time to come.

Schedule at least 3 nights for Buzios and do not miss Arraial do Cabo; get up early that day and take a regular bus called Salinera; after 45 minutes, drop at Praia (beach) dos Anjos and get a boat to a 3-4 hour amazing boat tour. Another option is to do that with one of these companies: Malizia, Venturini or Mistertours (that I´ve already posted above).

Have a nice trip! See you in Buzios!

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

We are also heading to Buzios soon. We have been lucky enough to visit before, its terrific.

Is Praia dos Anjos very different from Geriba? Is the water more tranquil and very blue and clear? And can you rent chairs there?

Finally, we will be a few people all together so do you think we can just have a taxi take us there from Buzios? Then obtain a taxi there to take us back? Brigado

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Buzios during Low season April 11-14, is it dead?

It is posible to do by taxi. I would estimate about R$ 100 to 120,00 per trip.

Praia dos Anjos is in Arraial do Cabo and as it is a kind of base, for fishermen, having a pier where you should board to boat tours, it is not a good spot for chilling out and enjoy the sun on the sand. For that, prefer in Arraial, the Pria Grande´s left corner or one of the Pontal do Atalaia´s hidden treasures beaches (doable by boat or by trekking... better to reach, the beggining of the trail by car... so consider renting one from Buzios or C Frio too).

Get answers to your questions about Armacao dos Buzios