We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Auckland City
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Hi there,

my boyfriend and I are travelling to Rio in February and have been recommended Ilha Bela and Ilha grande as 2 destinations for visit. I have done a lot of searching online but the only information i've found for getting there from Rio de Janeiro is by car and we would rather not drive there. I thought there would be ferry's going to some of the places from Rio but apparently not. So would like to get there by bus but cannot find information on that. Can someone please help me?

Many thanks

Lauren

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Hey Lauren,

We did the exact same thing. We wwent through a small company that pick us up from the hotel and literally took us to the beach on Iha Grande.

Just on the mobile so will post back shortly with link.

Brad

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Ok home now...

We used Island Travel Brazil.

Details as follows:

Island Travel Brazil

Contact was Maria Eugenia Lillia

Product Manager

MSN: contato@islandtravel.com.br

Tel.: (55-24)3361-9582/9964-2440

The email address for all our correspondance was: reservas@islandtravel.com.br

We always received a response within 24 to 48 hours. Sometimes quicker.

Her english is good enough but sometimes I had to repeat myself which I didn't mind. Her english was much better then my Portuguese so I had to be patient : )

Payment is only by Credit Card as she will inform you.

She does state Visa but we paid Mastercard which was fine.

When send her our security code we sent it via another email address, obviously for security reasons.

There is a minibus that picks you up and takes you to where you get on to the boat (local boat). This then takes you to Ilha Grande. The driver doesn't speak english but we kept ourselves busy with the views anyway.

From there you find your own way to your Hostel/Accommodation.

We were lucky as we were the only ones on the minivan so pretty much a private transfer with a stop halfway for a toilet break / stretch the legs.

There is a once off payment of R$180 for the two of us. Meaning R$180 in total not per person.

When you get to the boat the driver will sort out the payment so you don't have to do anything but get on the boat and sit down with your luggage.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Here's the bus schedule:

www.ilhagrande.com.ar/singlepage.php?id=36

and the ferry schedule:

www.ilhagrande.com.ar/singlepage2.php…

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

oops, ferry page not working.

Here is correct:

www.ilhagrande.com.ar/singlepage2.php…

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
720 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Hi tcantarelli

Am I reading the reading the website correctly that there is only one ferry a day going from Angra dos Reis to Abraao Viilage 15:30 and one return at 10:00?

Is Costa Verde bus we take i n Rio at Novo Rio Station or Rodoviaara Station ?The bus from Rio takes 3 -3 1/2 hrs. Would you need extra time to make the connection from bus to ferry?

Thanks

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

My friend recently went to Rio and stayed at a Che Lagarto Hostel and they had transportation - bus to the ferry for about $40 or $50 and the bus took them to the ferry and the ferry to Isla Grande. Hope this helped. I going in March and hoping to visit Isla Grande it is a tropical paradise. My friend said it was beautiful and you can not miss it. Enjoy your trip!

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

My friend recently went to Rio and stayed at a Che Lagarto Hostel and they had transportation - bus to the ferry for about $40 or $50 and the bus took them to the ferry and the ferry to Isla Grande. Hope this helped. I going in March and hoping to visit Isla Grande it is a tropical paradise. My friend said it was beautiful and you can not miss it. Enjoy your trip!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Note:

"Novo Rio Station or Rodoviaara Station"?

Rodoviaria (row-do-vee-AH-ree-ah) means bus station in Portuguese.

The name of the main bus station (or rodoviaria) in the city of Rio is Novo Rio.

There is the one ferry to Abrao listed on the page given above, but at the bottom, it indicates that there may be smaller private boats also making the crossing depending on demand and season, and that some got ot other destinations on the island.

The map on this page shows the location of the bus station in relation to the ferry pier.

www.ilhagrande.com.ar/singlepage2.php?id=56

Berkeley, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

We used Green Toad Bus to get from Rio to Ilha Grande. They picked us up at our hotel in a van drove us to the waiting ferry and ferried us to the island. They were so friendly, their service was so convenient and reasonably priced that we used them again to get from Ilha Grande to Paraty and then from Paraty to Sao Paulo. They made everything very easy.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get to Ilha Grande?!

Green Toad Bus in, in fact, a very good option.

greentoadbus.com/en/…A6Buses-schedules-176

Going to Rio´s Bus Terminal (Rodoviária Novo Rio) and take one of the regular bus lines to Mangaratiba (the final bus stop is just in front of the Pier) would be cheaper but not so safe.

Get answers to your questions about Ilha Grande