We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

I'd love to go see a real samba rehearsal and understand some of them are open to the public on certain nights of the week and are used to tourists. On the other hand, I've seen references to Plataforma. Is this the big show that is sort of like a Las Vegas production? If so, I don't think that is what I want to see. Can anyone shed light on where/which/how/when? We'll be there in Nov. Thanks for any info. or recommendations.

Rio Maximo
Boat Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Be a Local Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Bernard - Rio de Janeiro Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

Yellow cab to/ from Salgueiro: around R$ 50,00.

For your way back: outside Salgueiro there is a cab co-operative , normally very trustful.

M.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

Pointloman (and anyone else out there) - everyone says NOT to take the taxis outside your hotel (these are the ones I'm guessing have a dispatcher?) but to go around the corner or something and get one because you will pay less. Money is DEFINITELY a consideration in this trip so we might even be taking a subway now and then. Anyway, that's another thing we usually do a bit just to see how the locals travel in a city. I've heard Rio's subway is pretty good. Aren't you going to come and ride it w/us and show us the ropes? I'm sure for the samba show and most trips, we'll take a taxi though.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

after you check in to your hotel, the first thing you do is to walk around the entire block of your hotel. write down the names of the streets. as you walk, look for the taxi stand or stands that have a dispatcher standing next to a phone. pick one and use it every time.

also while you are walking, look for the juice stands, grocery stores, newspaper stands, sidewalk cafes. the first time around, you are a tourist. after that, you are a carioca; you live in the neighborhood.

i like the subway. it starts/ends in copacabana. i've taken it to different stations in rio centro, but never past that. maybe we could do an end to end ride.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
283 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

tcantarelli, do you know if there are any rehearsals on Nov 28 or 29? I'm leaving Brazil on the 30th - bummer!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

Great tips JJorge!

I agree, give the Plataforma show a pass.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

Pointloman, GREAT advice! We will definitely do that. We like to get our bearings anyway.

My son was here this wkend. and has been to Salvador and to Rio - for Carnival both times (w/a bunch of guys and it was several yrs. ago). told us to eat at Porcao, I think it's called. I said, "Where is it?" He replied, "Oh, I don't know. We just got into a cab and told the driver to take us there." While he had great times both visits, he's forgotten a lot of things and also had a friend lead the group around a lot since that guy had worked there for several months once. So I can't say I've gotten much info. from my son regarding getting around or anything.

27. Re: Real samba rehearsal vs. Plataforma or other "show" ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 04:17