We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copy of passport?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, California
Level Contributor
262 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Copy of passport?

I have always kept my passport with me when traveling abroad. I keep it in my waist money belt (inside my pants). However, everywhere I have read says to just carry a copy. But I have also read that the safes in hotel rooms aren't necessary safe, given that they can easily be opened by employees (such as when a guest can't remember the combination). So I've always felt better having it with me.

Has anyone ever had a problem with keeping the actual passport in a money belt? Has anyone ever had any trouble by only having a copy with you?

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Copy of passport?

When my passport was stolen, I went to the consulate in Sao Paulo. Somehow, probably my wonderful fluent American English with a midwestern accent, I convinced the Brazilian guard that I was a US citizen and entered the door that had no line (the one for non-citizens was 300 people long).

Once inside I spoke with a consular rep who had me fill out a passport application and then interviewed me. I had no documents with me, not even a copy of my birth certificate and no copy of my passport. Obviously this was pre-Sept 11 and electronic surveillance. Anyway, they did that whole trick of asking me questions with incorrect details to see if I would catch them, asking the same question in different ways trying to get inconsistent answers, and (since I had been living in Boston) even asked with subway stop you get off to go to Red Sox game. Convinced I was a US citizen, they processed the form, told me to get some pictures, and told me to always have a copy of my passport at home.

What would it be like to do this today? No idea.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Copy of passport?

Hmm...good to know. I am extremely cautious with the passport for obvious reasons; but I've always wondered what to do in the that situation.

23. Re: Copy of passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 02:18