We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Personal Guide

Idaho
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need Personal Guide

We are looking for a reliable personal guide in January. Any suggestions?

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Personal Guide

There are several recommended guides. I can vouch for Maria Yolen of www.riocustomtours.com.br . She is a multi lingual native with a good SUV.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Personal Guide

My recommendation is a Copacabana resident who has helped me with my trips, is very outgoing/friendly/knowledgable, has a reliable car and speaks good English. He has lots of good information about Rio posted under Off the Beaten Path hints here where his profile and travel pages also are:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/97fc0/

Rafael Torres Lopes

(021 city code) (cell) 8852-1799

(021) (home) 2247-4810

donrafa_brazil@yahoo.CO.uk

There is also this site, that of the guides union for RIo:

http://sindegtur.org.br/2006/pesquisa.asp

urbana, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Personal Guide

Hi Bigsteel:

My husband and I visited Rio in March and used Martha Vasconcellos as our guide. When we return in November, we will hire her again. In short, she made the City of Rio come alive for us. She met us at the airport, made sure we got checked in to our hotel okay and took us on the most amazing tour we have ever been on. I can't say enough about her outgoing personality, historical, cultural, geographical knowledge of Rio, her concern for safey--and fun.

Each of her tours centers around her customer's needs. You decide in advance what it is you want to see (she'll send you outlines of various areas and prices) and she guides you there. For instance, is you want to go to Rio's fantastic beaches, she'll take you there: museums, Christ the Redeemer, Sugar Loaf--whatever you decide. She knows exactly when to arrive at the tourist places so they are not overcrowded , the best places to take photos, get coffee, shopping, you name it!

Everywhere Martha goes, people wave and welcome her warmly. You can arrange payment with her in advance and she only accepts money after the tour is completed and you are happily back at your hotel. Write me or reach her at martha.guideinrio@globo.com. You'll love Rio--Have a great trip!! Casey

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Personal Guide

Hello

There are a lot of guides in Rio.

Here is the link to the ones listed on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Resources-g303506-Maps-Rio_d…

If you have any question, we're just an email away.

Take care

Jose

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Personal Guide

i have, as well, been looking into hiring a guide. I don't mind being in a group of or so. I will keep tracking this posting for recommendations.

I have read in the Lonely Planet guide and on this forum that Luiz Amaral Tours are recommended. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
278 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Personal Guide

I am going in November. I am using Martha. To be honest, we didn't even care about Rio - it was just the city with the airport to get us home. But after the back and forth emails with Martha, we can't wait to get there and wish we had more time. I've never been so impressed, and we haven't even met her yet! :) At least email her and see for yourself. No obligation until you tell her to go ahead and reserve it.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Personal Guide

Here's what they have to say:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k910…

cheers

Jose

rioturist

8. Re: Need Personal Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro