We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Canada - Border wait times

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Canada - Border wait times

I would like to know Border wait times.

How hard is it to enter Brazil. I will be flying from Canada. With Air Canada.

Transfer in Sao Paulo to get to Rio.

Would like to know how difficult is Brazil immigration/customs.

What should one use? I will be travelling on my own. Single male.

As well how hard is it to exit Brazil by land transport. Planning to travel from Brazil to Uraguay. Is leaving the country difficult as well?

Any tips? suggestions?

Thank you

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Canada - Border wait times

Going through immigration and customs at the airports (SP or Rio) doesn't take too long usually.

For immigration, you may wait in line for as long as 15 to 20 minutes typically.

Going through customs you may wait about 10 minutes typically. If you are selected to put your bags through the scanner, maybe five minutes more, unless they find something you shouldn't have.

I don't have a lot of experience with land crossings except crossing at Foz de Iguacu going to Argentina for the day. That wasn't too problematic. The tour bus was in line for maybe 15 minutes before crossing.

I imagine the commercial crossings by highway are usually a bit longer wait times but can't comment too much. Occasionally you see on the news some slow down operation by the customs & immigrations officials and there are very long wait times. That's not the norm though.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Canada - Border wait times

The line to go through immigration and get your passport stamped and your entry card can be quite long if other international flights have landed at the about the same time as yours. It has taken me over an hour at times.

The process itself is "nothing" (and never really was even in the days when they were taking photos of entering Americans). They just look at your passport and stamp it. Usually no questions. Then you go through and pick up your luggage and (for most people) walk through the "nothing to declare" line, straight out into the terminal.

"What should one use?" What does this mean?

When leaving by land, make sure to get an exit stamp from Brazil, showing how many days you have stayed (In case you ever want to go back to Brazil. There is a limit on how many days per year you can stay.).

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Canada - Border wait times

Remember you need a Brazilian Tracel Visa to enter Brazil. You need to get it BEFORE you try and enter.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Canada - Border wait times

I just came back from Rio flying with Air Canada, Toronto-Sao Paulo-Rio. The longest wait I experienced was in Toronto waiting for Air Canada staff to check our visas. There was only one staff member qualified to check visas and she was on her dinner break. Unbelievable. Apparently AC has been fined heavily for passengers arriving in Brazil with incorrect visas, outdated and so forth.

The wait in Sao Paulo was not long at all. The funny thing was, we had to go through immigration again in Rio, not a long wait but when you are tired from travelling.....

Our flight to Rio from Sao Paulo was delayed a few times and the gate number changed a number of times. Neither of us speak Portuguese, quite a challenge in Brazil, so we were lucky to be chatting with a very lovely Brazilian who translated for us, each announcement.

Enjoy your trip.

5. Re: Flying from Canada - Border wait times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro