We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipanema or Copacabana?

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Ipanema or Copacabana?

Please help, I'm very confused as to where to stay in Rio! I like the sound of Ipanema but the hotel accommodation I'm looking there is not overlooking the beach and not as highly rated by trip advisor. On the other hand, I have a chance to stay at the number one trip advisor hotel but it's in copacabana and I've heard lots of bad things about it! Is staying in Copacabana, really that bad? I don't want to have a bad holiday!

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

I would prefer Ipanema (less crowdy, clean water, etc)

but Copa is ok too. take it easy.

you will not to stay a lot of time inside the hotel anyway.

welcome

Brazil Rio

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Ipanema

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Copacabana is middle class and gets a bad rap because of the drunks trolling for call girls.

Ipanema is more upscale.

Both are fine.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

"Is staying in Copacabana, really that bad?"

No, and neither is the hotel in Ipanema which was not "highly rated" by Tripadvisor.

Some people will give hotels a bad rating for the strangest reasons, such as "the elevators are small" or "the hotel is dated". If the idea of staying in Ipanema appeals to you, why not get a room with ocean view there?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Hi,

Both are fine. I prefer staying at the beach of Ipanema to get a tan. But walk across the ocean line at Copacabana.

Ipanema is more upscale than Copacabana. However at night if you like to walk at the boulevard, you need to be in Copacabana as Ipanema is almost dead.

More sexual tourists in Copacabana than Ipanema. Ipanema is more gay oriented than Copacabana.

In the end, they are both fine. No security risks, as long as you remember the basic things which apply to every big city.

Cheers!

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

"Ipanema is more gay oriented than Copacabana."

Ops! so, i will change my vote to copacabana... LOL

New York City
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

I stay in Posto 6 in Copacabana near Arpoador and find the area is not only a perfect mix of Copa and Ipanema, but is centrally located as well, providing easy access to all three beaches.

And I'm not so quick to say one area has a higher concentration of "this" type of person or is more a "certain way" than the next... Ultimately, whether or not you'll be comfortable (or uncomfortable) should not be dependent upon your location, but rather your disposition.

Travel to Rio as you should anywhere on God's green with the attitude that I will have a good holiday and utilize common sense while doing so. Regardless as to what you've heard or read, don't focus on the negative "what-ifs", focus instead on the what-is...

And Rio de Janeiro? - Paradise? - ahhhh, she's absolutely beautiful! :-)

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Thanks for the advice guys. I think my decision has been made for me - the hotel i was aiming for in copacabana now has a restriction on my travelling dates..so IPANEMA it is! Judging from what I have heard and read, I think this should be a smart choice.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Ipanema...

Dublin Ireland
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ipanema or Copacabana?

Check out Hotel Praia Ipanema, fronts onto the beach, I'm just back from there and would highly recommend it.

For what it's worth, I'd agree with many of the previous posters re Copacabana v Ipanema - you could have a great time staying in either but I think on balance I'd opt for Ipanema, especially if you intend spending time on the beach. If you want to swim in the ocean be very careful as currents are very strong in Ipanema at this time of year. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro