We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
183 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

I'm looking for a 4/5 star hotel at Copacabana and after long research I'm undecided between the JW Marriott and the Porto Bay:

the JW seems more luxurious but for the same rate my travel agent is offering a 40 mq. suite overlooking the beach at the Porto Bay, instead of a JW standard room.

What do you suggest?

Thank you.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

Unfamiliar with JW, but I am at the Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel right now. It is excellent. If you have a room facing the beach, you will be pleased. The staff here is a happy staff, a staff that is of very high quality and stable. The breakfast is the best you will find. The waiters are excellent and will bend over backwards to please. It is safe here as well. The rooftop pool is a disappointing 3 feet deep and small. But the pool area has service for food or drink and the view is hard to beat. Do know that the hotel adds a 10% tip as most do here. Be sure to add another 10% and more as they work very hard here. The beds are comfortable as well.

lfoxx

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

In addition to bikefoxx positive comments abt Porto Bay, and in the opposite sense, I'd say that

Marriot's staff is not friendly at all! We hear comments abt their concierges trying to scare people who desire to go around by themselves, saying that the city is extremly dangerous and only "the tours offered by them" are safe enough for sightseeing.

From outside Marriot looks very elegant. The lobby is all made in pink marble. The rooms seem to be as small as every hotel's in the city, considering American standards.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

I will be a dissenting voice here. I've not stay at the Porto Bay, but have stayed at the Marriott twice and enjoyed it very much. Granted the rooms are small, but space is a valued commodity along the beaches (my rooms were no smaller than other hotels in Rio in the same general area). The rooms are very comfortable and quiet (either interior or beachfront).

I found the staff to be very polite and friendly and always willing to help. I've never been scared by the concierge, but then again, I'm not asking for tours and I speak Portuguese well, so I've only needed them for specific things.

The pool staff is very accommodating, the bar staff is friendly and often gives away a drink or two to returning customers, the reception staff is great (a few quirks, but I think all reception staff are overworked and stressed), the restaurant staff is very nice, etc. No complaints at all (except for the ridiculous internet charges, but that's a universal problem).

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

I am a Marriott Platinum member but whenever I'm in Rio I stay at Porto Bay. I've stayed at both places here and Porto Bay wins hands down. For my budget Marriott gives me an "Atrium View" room whereas Porto Bay gives me a Deluxe Ocean View Room. A bottle of water out of the mini-bar is half the price at Porto Bay and the service is TOP NOTCH. I'm here right now and get to exchange my standard "Prestige" card for Gold at the end of the week.

5. Re: JW Marriott or Porto Bay Rio Internacional Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2009, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro