We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Hi,

My husband and I have planned a 5 day trip to Rio in September. We get in early Thursday morning and leave on late Monday night, it's not a long time but it's all we have.

We like the beach but not enough to spend an entire day, probably a couple hours, also not too much into the night party scene so we feel like we can get a lot done during the day.

Given this, we would love to make a trip to Iguazu Falls, is there anyway we can do it in a day? Is 2 days too long? Should we skip it entirely, although I would hate to do that!

Thanks.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Because of plane schedules, it usually takes 2 half days to travel in and out of Iguacu, and then a half day to see the Brazilian side and a half day or more for the Argentine side. There is also an interesting bird park and the boat rides under the falls, among other activities. So I guess it can be 'done' with one overnight, although two would be preferable.

As far as partying in Rio, a night out listening to live samba at a club in Lapa such as Carioca da Gema is not to be missed.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

We went last fall and originally planned for 2days in Iguasso, but due to our flight being cancelled, we only ended up with one actual day there.

We arrived late in the evening on day 1. Then woke up early the next day to visit the Brazil side (3 hours), and then took a taxi over to the Argentina side (make sure you bring your passport and have Argentina currency with you). Spent the rest of the day on the Argentina side, spent the night, and left the next morning to come back to the 'states.

All in all, it's two days (1 travel day, 1 visit day, 2 nights in Iguasso). It worked for us but was fast paced. Hard to imagine doing it in less than that.

As with you, we had 3 full days in Rio and were glad we went to Iguasso. There is never enough time, but in 3 days we managed to visit downtown, see sugar loaf, the reedeemer, attend a show, eat a couple of good meals, and spend time on the beachs.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Thanks for the information. Good to know that we should not skip Iguassu.

We will definitely go to Lapa to listen to Samba.

Are there any Samba shows that will be in operation in early September?

I tried to check out the Samba city website, but it's all in Portuguese/Spanish.

Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
679 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Hi,

The Samba City website dont have any updated schedule, so is better if you email them on eventos@cdsrj.com.br or reservas@cdsrj.com.br

However, by september, you will be able to check the real thing, visiting the samba schools practices, mostly on weekends. Check the articles on trip advisor on that. I´d recomend going to either Mangueira or Salgueiro on saturday night.

In lapa, you can also try Rio Scenarium (from tuesday to thursday) and Democráticos (on fridays and saturdays).

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

In add to all good information just given, I'd like to inform you that there's one single direct flight/ day going to IGUASSU! The proposal of doing it in one day would mean a big hurry! VIP: You should check before leaving if the water level came back to its regular, because these last months I'd say it's been a creak, if compared to what it normally is!

SAMBA SHOWS

The SAMBA CITY is closed until October.

There's a FOLKLORE SHOW named PLATAFORMA - very touristy, but well done. You'll see professionals performing some of the several rhythms we have in Brazil. They offer one show daily starting at 10pm.

For the SAMBA SCHOOL REHEARSALS (from late Sept), it's good to know that it's a great ambiance if you enjoy loud drums and extremely simple places.

J

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Hi NYC!

You certainly won't regret your visit to Iguasu Falls. Eleanor Roosevelt once said that compared to Iguasu, Niagara Falls looks like a kitchen faucet, and she's absolutely right! Iguasu ranks ahead of Rio de Janeiro as the high point of our Brazilian trip.

We stayed two full days and three nights at Iguasu falls, and did not run out of things to do. Here are some points of interest and minimum times:

- You need at least a half-day for the Brazilian national park, and you could stay longer.

- Two hours for the famed bird park, just outside the Brazilian national park.

- At least a half-day, and you could stay longer, in the Argentine national park. Brazil has the best view of Iguasu, but Argentina has a catwalk out near the lip of the grand falls.

- Supper in Foz do Iguaçu, and I recommend the Emporia da Gula, where we discovered the largest prawns in the world.

- A couple hours for sight-seeing and shopping in Cidade de Leste, Paraguay, a wild and woolly town

- There's a pylon in Brazil overlooking the point where the Iguasu River flows into the Parana, at which the three countries meet. It's not interesting, but lots of people still want to see it, the way visitors to Pittsburgh flock to see the Golden Triangle, where the Monongahela and the Allegheny form the Ohio.

There's lots more, too, everything from the Buddhist temple to the high dam. As you can see you'll fill your days up pretty quick, without even trying.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

By the way, unlike the writer from Minnesota, we found Brazilian money accepted everywhere in the Argentine national park and Puerto Iguazu, the Argentine town. Most prices were shown in both currencies.

You won't find this in the rest of Argentina, but in the border region they welcomed our Brazilian money, as our guide said they would, and we didn't take or need any Argentine cash.

David

New York, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

A big thank you to everyone for all the great information and advice.

Here is a tentative plan:

Reach Foz do Iguaçu at 12.30pm on Sunday, head straight to Brazilian side of the falls. Stay till 4.30pm. Visit Bird Park till 6pm.

Try to do the dam tour at night.

Stay overnight in Sheraton Argentina.

Start early to finish the Argentina side of the falls.

Take the 5pm flight from Foz do Iguaçu.

I know its hectic but doable.

Any thoughts?

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

Hello, we are planning a two week trip to Argentina in mid september, and one of the highlights we hope to see is Iguazu Falls. I'm nervous to see mention in several places on the web that the water level is very low. Is there somewhere to check shortly before we go what the scene is? Is this because of water being regulated? Or seasonal? Any info will be most appreciated. Thanks

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 September Days in Rio - Iguazu?

I was just there last week, and while I heard the water levels in the falls were down, they were still amazing. You have to see them to appreciate them and understand how spectacular they are.

Kind of like the Grand Canyon. Unless you've been there, you can't understand the vastness or the beauty of it completely.

I felt the same way about seeing the Andes from Santiago. They were impressive too.

I think if you have 5 days in Rio but are not much into partying or beaches, you might find that Iguassu isn't such a bad side trip.

I was supposed to be there for two nights (after my stay in Rio, and on my way to Buenos Aires), but I lost a day due to flight cancellation as well.

When I was able to get there the next day, I too arrived in the afternoon (flew into the airport on the Brazil side), was able to see the Brazilian side for a couple of hours before going on to my hotel on the Argentine side. I saw the falls on the Argentine side of the river the next morning, and then flew on to Buenos Aires (from the Argentina airport) that afternoon.

So it is doable if you're not into the boat rides and that kind of thing (that are also available there).

The one thing I did feel upon leaving the falls though is that I wish I had had that one more evening there. If nothing else, just to relax a bit. That much flying can be crazy. Especially when a flight cancellation is involved.

If all works out though, with flights working in your favor getting to and from the falls from Rio, you certainly wouldn't regret seeing them at all. Your time in Rio will feel pinched, but the falls are beautiful, and they add another part of Brazil to your itinerary. I think it ultimately depends on what you really want to do in Rio.

The Christ Statue can be done in a half day. As can the Sugar Loaf visit. Walking the beaches can be adjusted as time permits.

There is certainly plenty to see and do in Rio for 5 days (if nothing else, just relaxing and enjoying the pulse of the city!), but if the falls are that important to you, they can certainly be done.

Just cross your fingers that flights are on schedule for that day!

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro