We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Hi Everyone,

I'm 35, straight, and off to the Rio Carnival in 2010 and i'm starting all my research now. So i have a few questions which i'm having a hard time trying to find the answers to, so i thought maybe some of you would know. I prefer street party/parades to the Sambadrome option, so i want to be close to where all this will be happening, and i have no problems sleeping at night so i can be as close as possible.

If i wish to be in the heart of all the clubs/bars/entertainment/partying/nightlife and so on, what accommadtion area should i be concentrating on?

Are any of these locations near all the action, anywhere near Ipanema Beach?

I'll be in Rio for 10 nights, so once i've had my fill of Carnival, are there any tips/recommendations, for steak restaurants, jazz bars, beautiful beaches, souvenirs shopping, sieghtseeing, picturesque viewing points of Rio?

Many Thanks in advsnce.

England
Level Contributor
563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Hi Marcus. Form what you have said I would say Ipanema and two blocks off the beach is the hotel vermont.Ok this place is not gonna get any awards, but it is clean and of a standard for the price.It is also two blocks from post 9. In addition and a touristy thing to do is the bar where the girl from Ipanema was written, its actually ok for a late lunch or early evening meal.

There are a loads of other places to see and do in terms of lebon and Ipanema, to walk around and be safe.

In terms of street parties there are quite a few Bloccos in ipaneam plus the gay carnival so a great place to stay and have to have some serious fun.

Have a great trip Richard

As always check out

www.Ipanema.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

The only problem with Hotel Vermont is that if you want to go back to your room with anyone, even for 20 min. while you shower and change out of your swim suit to get into street cloths, they will charge you 70.reais for the visitor.

I would suggest that you look for a private apartment in Posto 9. You will most likely save money going with an apartment over a hotel.

Brazil
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Mar3cus, I would like to recommed:

Please, consider going to the sambadrome, not to watch, but to take part of a samba school.

The samba school is the "team" that takes part of the carnival championship. Every team has 4000 people dancing and playing with fantastic costumes.

It costs 400 reais (200 U$) but really worth every cent. I´m not Brazilian and went there for 3 times!!!!

People from all over the world take part of this fantastic party and is really safe.

If you go to the trainings of the samba school you will love it. Nothing in the world compares to a 400 drums of a samba school playing at the same time!!!!

Mangueira

Street parties and parades are very nice too.

Do not miss:

CORDÃO DO BOLA PRETA -Saturday before carnival)

Praça Mauá

SUVACO DE CRISTO

They practice every friday of January and February

Place: Teatro Odisséia

Avenida Mem de Sá 66, Lapa – RJ

Telefone: 2539-0216

BANDA DE IPANEMA

1st Parade - 2 saturdays before carnival

2nd parade - saturday, carnival

3° parade - tuesday - carnival

5PM

Praça General Osório, Ipanema

Stay in Ipanema or Leblon where all the best restaurants ans bars are located. Do not miss Lapa an are with millions!! of bars and night clubs with different options.

Have a nice stay with us!!!

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Wow!!! great info guys tell me more please...

Many Thanks again

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

For street parties, you can look at some of last year's posts from "girlfromrio", who gave a pretty complete listing, and contact her closer to this year's Carnaval dates for updates.

A good site to get an overview of Rio is www.ipanema.com, whcih gives info about beaches, sights, neighborhoods, clubs, etc.

Some other good tips from a long-time resident (and now professional guide) are found at:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/97fc0/16f3ed/

members.virtualtourist.com/m/97fc0/170a30/

I highly recommend spending one night at the Sambodromo if you choose Rio for Carnaval. It's an unforgettable experience. You might want to find out how you can parade with one of the samba schools. (However, if partying in the street is what you are after, you might also consider Carnaval in Salvador.)

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

Thankyou all again, there is alot of info here for me to get my teeth into. Any recommendations for Steak restaurants or Latin/Jazzy type bars???

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

I'm thinking about going during carnival too? I was looking at the Windsor Martinique Hotel cause their price seem decent. Is that a good spot for the carnival?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

After looking on the forum I think an apartment would be a better option, but I don't know which apartment would be in a good area or what company I can contact.

9. Re: Where to stay for the 2010 Carnival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro