We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Source: Globo newspaper

Some good news for Copacabana beachfront!

Seven architects are competing to design the new Museu da Imagem e do Som - MIS (i.e.: Image and Sound museum)

The new MIS, a partnership between Rio State and Roberto Marinho foundation (bearing the name of the all-too-powerful late Globo TV tycoon), will occupy an area of 1.600 sm where today Help disco can be found.

Total cost : R$ 13 milhões (expropriation of HELP) + R$ 44 milhões (construction and planning)

Participating architects are Bernardes & Jacobsen (Rio), Brasil Arquitetura (Sao Paulo), Isay Weinfeld (Sau Paulo) e Tacoa Arquitetos (Sao Paulo), Daniel Libeskind (US), the same of Freedom Tower in NYCand Japanese Shigeru Ban, Diller Scofidio + Renfro (US).

What's yuor favourite projects?

oglobo.globo.com/rio/fotogaleria/2009/9576/

Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Honestly I am surprised and disappointed Sao Paulo's genius architect Ruy Ohtake did not participate!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

They can use this money to finalize Cidade da Musica project.

pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cidade_da_M%C3%BAsica

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

HELP - a Copacabana icon!

I don't know if it's good or bad to hear that there's a serious project to extinguish Help! The music there was always good and a reference point for those who were working late hours and just felt like passing by somewhere for a last drink and dancing for an hour. The girls - real frequenters of that place - never bothered anybody. The opposite, they were always very kind to us who had nothing to do with that ambiance.

A new MIS? As long as the investment don't stop at the project plus the construction... it will be cool to have a museum in the area.

Let's see what happens! Thanks Luca for the post!

J

Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Here's the winning project

…typepad.com/madeinbrazil/2009/08/from-the-h…

Rio de Janeiro's governor Sérgio Cabral announced yesterday that New York architectural firm Diller Scofidio + Renfro, of the recently opened High Line, won the bid for the design of the new Museum of Image & Sound (or MIS) in Copacabana.

The project was inspired by the sidewalks of Copacabana, and aims to integrate the building to the beach, taking advantage of the water views.

The cost of the project is estimated at R$65 million, and construction is set to start early next year. The new museum will be built on the lot once occupied by nightclub Help on Avenida Atlântica.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

The MIS’ PROJECT presented on Globo Tv two days ago is AWESOME!

The idea is to extend Atlântica Ave. sidewalk into the museum alleys; preserving and honoring the wonderful Copacabana Beach view as well as integrating it into what Rio offers excellently: Image & Sound!

In the estimated budged just mentioned, it’s considered the expropriation of the disco, which shows how serious it seems to be!

Thumbs up!

From now on, all I want is to be informed that HELP has negotiated a new space, renovated in its architecture.

J

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Honestly I am surprised and disappointed that they want to stop the helping to us, poor people!

museum? who cares?

Welcome,

Brazil Rio

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

I cannot believe they approved that design to be constructed in Copacabana. It is a beautiful structure but doesn't fit. Some will argue that contrast is the appeal, I disagree. A shame.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

ARCHITECTURAL CONTRASTS

When Le Corbusier started showing his ideas of Modern Architecture in the first half of the 20th century, he was very much criticized, becoming a target of fun and disrespect!

In Brazil, but still against the conservative and ordinary parties, he found serious professionals who were ready for his innovating way of seeing the future! It’s an honor to mention as a reference, the precious Modern Architect Oscar Niemeyer – a Rio’s citizen - now 100 years old, in full acquaintance of his abilities and directly involved in two known new projects!

IMHO, the new MIS pursuits a splendid project which will bring the innovation that Copacabana deserves! The NY office properly understood the Carioca way of interacting and reacting when idealizing the Beach Avenue’s extension through the museum’s opened air alleys!

My congratulations to Rio’s Mayor, his crew, the designers, etc, and those who were directly involved in the whole project. My sincere respect for all others who were able to get the pic!

J

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

wow they closed HELP down. so is the late night party now

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Copacabana's new icon: from Help to MIS

Help was open when I rode past it last night...

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro