We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting a tourist visa

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Topic
getting a tourist visa

I'm from Houston, and this is my first time applying for a visa to visit another country. I will be in Rio De Janeiro on Feb 10. Anyone from Houston or Texas area know how to get a tourist visa? Do I need to purchase my plane tickets first? How soon should I get a tourist visa? As soon as possible or within 90 days from the date i will arrive there?

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting a tourist visa

http://www.brazilhouston.org/

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting a tourist visa

Hi Houston!

We Canadians require visas to enter Brazil just like you Americans do. I had to jump through all the hoops for our trip.

I believe that Brazil has a consulate in Houston. You'll get better service if you can apply in person.

They will take your passport off you so that the visa can be affixed inside. (The visa is a sticker that occupies a full passport page.) Here's hoping you do not have other foreign travel coming up very soon, such as to Canada, in case the consulate needs to keep the passport for an administrative period.

My understanding is that you do not need plane tickets in advance. However, be mindful that you have to travel within 90 days of the date the visa is issued. It is said that the visas expire, and if you apply too early they say you'll have to start all over again. Be careful not to apply too far in advance.

I found the Brazilians at their consulate in Canada unhelpful and disinterested in my travel situation. The process took weeks, making me nervous about getting my passport back in time. (To be sure, I had to apply by mail. That's why I say that you may find it faster and easier on your peace of mind to apply in person. If the Brazilians in the Houston consulate are anything like the Brazilians in the Canadian consulate, however, don't count on it!)

At least as far as the consulate is concerned, I found the Brazilians nit-pickers for detail. Be sure your "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed. Remember, the purpose of all this visa red tape is retaliation against ordinary travelers for the formalities our Canadian and US governments make Brazilians go through. Expect them to ride hard on you.

On the other hand, we found that once we arrived in Brazil, human courtesy returned and we had no difficulties being processed at the airport. We flew through São Paulo Guarulhos Airport.

Your visa should be valid for multiple entries, if you keep within the 90 days. We had no trouble being re-admitted to Brazil from Paraguay and from Argentina when we went across for day trips at Iguasu Falls.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting a tourist visa

Hi Houston!

We Canadians require visas to enter Brazil just like you Americans do. I had to jump through all the hoops for our trip.

I believe that Brazil has a consulate in Houston. You'll get better service if you can apply in person.

They will take your passport off you so that the visa can be affixed inside. (The visa is a sticker that occupies a full passport page.) Here's hoping you do not have other foreign travel coming up very soon, such as to Canada, in case the consulate needs to keep the passport for an administrative period.

My understanding is that you do not need plane tickets in advance. However, be mindful that you have to travel within 90 days of the date the visa is issued. It is said that the visas expire, and if you apply too early they say you'll have to start all over again. Be careful not to apply too far in advance.

I found the Brazilians at their consulate in Canada unhelpful and disinterested in my travel situation. The process took weeks, making me nervous about getting my passport back in time. (To be sure, I had to apply by mail. That's why I say that you may find it faster and easier on your peace of mind to apply in person. If the Brazilians in the Houston consulate are anything like the Brazilians in the Canadian consulate, however, don't count on it!)

At least as far as the consulate is concerned, I found the Brazilians nit-pickers for detail. Be sure your "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed. Remember, the purpose of all this visa red tape is retaliation against ordinary travelers for the formalities our Canadian and US governments make Brazilians go through. Expect them to ride hard on you.

On the other hand, we found that once we arrived in Brazil, human courtesy returned and we had no difficulties being processed at the airport. We flew through São Paulo Guarulhos Airport.

Your visa should be valid for multiple entries, if you keep within the 90 days. We had no trouble being re-admitted to Brazil from Paraguay and from Argentina when we went across for day trips at Iguasu Falls.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting a tourist visa

Great information, David, I would only add that as Americans, we are in fact required to have proof of a roundtrip plane reservations in order to obtain a Brazilian visa.

Oh and yo, AB - I heard you're going to Rio de Janeiro!!! For Carnaval no less!! You gotta be jumping out of your skin with excitement about now!!! I know I was first trip - well, actually, I'm STILL psyched for where we're heading in six months!!!!!!

I'll samba to THAT! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCB6wQ1R0WA

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting a tourist visa

"Great information, David, I would only add that as Americans, we are in fact required to have proof of a roundtrip plane reservations in order to obtain a Brazilian visa."

That's not quite correct. What you are required to show is proof that you will exit the country. That could be a return airfare, a passage on cruise ship or even an airfare to another country. Many travellers travel on to other countries in South America and return from there. An airticket that shows you will be returning from another country is also acceptable.

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting a tourist visa

Obrigado for the specifics, JAS. My experience with the NY Consulate reflected the stated Visa requirements from their website:

"A copy of your round-trip ticket or a booked itinerary showing travel to and from Brazil (confirming the purchase of the ticket, with passenger’s name, itinerary, flight number and arrival/departure dates);"

en.brazilny.org/index.php…

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: getting a tourist visa

But in practice, that lends to a less strict interpretation than plane tickets to and from or a travel agency list of same.

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: getting a tourist visa

Indeed, if it were the case then very few people would do the grand tour of South America thing. Actually, the advice provide by the New York consulate differs from that provided by other consulates:

Here's what the Consulado-Geral in London has to say

"

· Originals and photocopies of return or onward ticket or proof of means of support during the applicant’s stay in Brazil (recent bank and credit card statements, pay slips, are accepted as proof). "

www.consbraslondres.com/index.php…

The embassy in Canberra one:

"D. Complete itinerary with passenger's name. The itinerary should mention when and where the passenger is entering and leaving Brazil, even if it is by bus or other transport (if it is not in the itinerary, please mention it when filling up the form). Itinerary must be on airline or travel agent's letterhead paper, or identified with travel agency / airline stamp. Itinerary must also show dates and cities in Brazil of entry and departure (for airline employees only, ID card and support letter from employer replace ticket or itinerary)."

http://www.brazil.org.au/cms/

As it happens the consulate in Houston says:

"Presentation of an itinerary printout, or a photocopy of round trip ticket or e-ticket, or a signed letter by the travel agency, addressed to the Brazilian Consulate, attesting to the acquisition of the ticket and informing confirmed round trip bookings."

http://www.brazilhouston.org/ingles/vitur.htm

In practice if your itinerary or ticket (be it bus train, boat or aeroplane) confirms your intention to leave, it will be accepted.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting a tourist visa

Greetings Abryan,

The info you have received thus far covers most everything you need to know about obtaining a visa for Brasil.

The Brasilian Consulate in Houston is in the Galleria area just off the 610 Loop near the San Felipe exit. It is fairly easy to get to and has free visitor parking adjacent to the building proper.

There are two types of tourist visas being issued at the Houston Consulate; one is short term (90-days) and the other is the 5-year visa. If you intend to visit Brasil more than once over the next couple of years (and who doesn't?) then it would behoove you to request, in writing, the 5-year versus the 90-day visa.

Requesting the 5-year visa doesn't mean you'll get one but if you don't make the request then chances are you'll only receive the short term 90-day visa.

I have applied for Brasilian visas at the Houston Consulate a few times, so if you want more details as to my experiences with them...please feel free to send me a PM here at TA.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting a tourist visa

George, how did you pay for the visas? Will the Houston consulate take cash or money orders only??

We are going to Rio January 27 and have decided to apply for the visa ourselves. When do you recommend that we drive to Houston and apply?

Thanks,

Jane

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro