We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Apartments

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Apartments

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Rio Apartments? Looking for a two month rental after Carnival in Ipanema and preferably with a pool - one bedroom. Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you. :-)

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Apartments

I am renting from VRBO (vacation rentals by owner--www.vrbo.com). Although I am renting for only 4 days, they have a big selection of different size and price range apts in Rio.

Hope this helps.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Apartments

Be careful because some of the apt. rental agents recommended here are posted by friends of the agent, not the owners or former clients/renters.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Apartments

Thanks for the info and what to watch out for. Do you have any reputable sources for short term apt rentals? LMK. Thanks!

4. Re: Rio Apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 20:05
Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Apartments

Hi Michelle,

I'm from the Toronto too and we just rented a place from gringomanagement for christmas/new years...I will let you know how that goes.

UK
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Apartments

I'm not recommending any place or any agent, but a piece of advice.

If you are renting short-term be prepared to be messed around a bit. They most probably switch you to another place as when someone comes along with one month rental request your 4 days will go down the list.

I found apartment renters in Rio/Fortaleza quite hard to deal with, they are always vague in their correspondence (quote higher prices first) and try to see if they can charge you a bit more here and there, or get more deposit, or ask for cleaning cost (or promise cleaning and don't deliver) etc. , half the facilities either don't work or are in poor condition...

I was lucky I didn't pay security deposit, because in both scenarios the renter/agent didn't even turn up as i was leaving (I left the key with the doorman), I probably would have lost my deposit if I had paid them - but I wasn't required to give any security deposit !?

I thing in Brazil the renters really rip off tourists in every which way during carnivals, which is fair enough ! But they carry this attitude right through the year, which is wrong, no other country has such a poor rental service. (I emailed quite a few during my search).

I say for 4 days leave it to the last minute (if off peak) you might get a better deal, or at least get what you choose and not be switched - less time for another long-term offer to come along.

(I guess for long term rental it will be a different service/approach, I hope)

(Disclaimer, of course there are some good renters but in minority I say !)

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Apartments

Hi Michele,

We went through Rio Apartments and you can reach them at Rioapartments.com. They have a very well organized outfit, we used them to stay for 5 nights this year end november. You can give them a budget and they will give you options.We stayed in a nice 1 bedroom apartment at the border of Ipanema and Leblon, which is frankly where you should stay, they are safe and nice, though of-course a little more expensive than Copacabana. We spent USD 75/night, which was excellent value,though you may get something better for a long term stay.The place was very secure and just a block from the beach.The place also allows you to walk on the main thoroughfare like Ataulfo da Paiva at night, though I would not recommend venturing into the inside streets late at night.

One problem which we had was that the agent did not turn up to return our deposit the morning we were leaving,though in all fairness we left very early,so he may not have wanted to show up.However, we sent a mail to them and he promptly sent the money via Paypal along with his apologies.

If you would like to talk to me about Rio,Sao Paulo or the Amazon let me know and I can give you my 2 cents on Brazil.Beautiful country,great food,lovely people.

8. Re: Rio Apartments

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 December 2009, 11:05
DC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Apartments

I used this group twice and it was fine:

http://www.gringomanagement.com/

10. Re: Rio Apartments

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2010, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro