We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a budget for carnival 2010

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Topic
planning a budget for carnival 2010

I will be in RIO from feb 9 until the 19 and trying to see how much money I would need for 10 days. This budget is mostly for food, taxi rides to the Sambadrome, Sugar Loaf Mountian and Cristo Redentor, a few souveners. Is $500 enough to last 10 days?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

I would 'at least' double that amount.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

Last year a taxi ride from the airport to my hotel was$R80 but I used one of the prepaid taxis. I ate at the quilo restaurants and lunch and dinner averaged around $R20 each for me...I had breakfast in the hotel which was included in the package. Taxi back to the airport from the hotel was $R60.

I've graduated to using the metro to go to the Sambodrome the cost of which is not worth mentioning....$R1.50 I think. I always take a taxi back from the parade because it's safer and I'm normally exhausted..it's varied between $R50.00 and $R80.

Go to the "hippie fair" on Sunday or the nightly street market in Copacabana for reasonable souvenirs.

Hope this helps

Brisbane
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

The only things that are cheap in Rio are, bottled water, bread, beer from the supermarket, and public transport(probably a couple of other things as well). I was there 2 weeks ago and found it more expensive in general than Tokyo where I have been to twice this year.

And no we weren't rich tourists staying and eating at just expensive places, we stayed in a hostel in a Favela at the back of Lemme with people who lived in RIo. Actually the area where they filmed parts of City of God and Elite Squad.

So as one previous poster replied double your budget and take a credit card just in case.

LOS ANGELES
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

I think the prices in Rio are reasonable except during Carnival. Price comparison is so subjective though, what's reasonable to one person may seem expensive to another.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

Never came across a single person who thought Rio prices are reasonable including those that live there.

LOS ANGELES
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

well you have now!

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

I'm really a cheapskate too, but the prices aren't as bad in Rio as they are in many of the scandanavian countries.

Rocinha, RJ, Brasil
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

Reposado did you stay in Chapeu Mangueira with my friend Luiz Antonio?

Rocinha, RJ, Brasil
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

Reposado did you stay in Chapeu Mangueira with my friend Luiz Antonio?

10. Re: planning a budget for carnival 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro
Recent Conversations