We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

So . . . I'm sitting on my balcony, drinking a caipirinha in the 90 degree weather, and dreaming of/planning my next trip to Brazil (loved it so much in February that I just gotta go back!). If I can manage it into my schedule and budget, I'm coming down in September -- solo this time.

I know some of you have suggested that a single woman has no business traveling to Brazil alone, unless she has "extracurricular" purposes in mind. But I happen to think Brazil has so much more to offer. With that being said, here are my thoughts:

3 days -- Buenos Aires

2 days -- Iguacu Falls (Argentine side)

2 days -- Iguacu Falls (Brazil side)

3 days -- Pantanal

4 days -- Rio

What do you think of this itinerary? Is it too "busy"? Also, what do you think of me making this journey solo? I'd love to hear the experiences of women who've made similar brave journeys.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

"I know some of you have suggested that a single woman has no business traveling to Brazil alone, unless she has "extracurricular" purposes in mind."

You read that on *this* forum? Who ever said that?

You should know by now from reading the forum that I (female) have been travelling to/in Brazil for over a decade, and often travel solo by choice, including to the Brazilian destinations you mention. I don't consider this a "brave journey' at all, just because of the solo factor or the female factor. Lots of women blazed a trail for you and others to attempt this journey, and any other you wish, starting with the women's movement in the 70s, and more so since. A sixteen year old woman recently tried to sail around the world, solo, remember? A lot depends, logically, on how comfortable you are with yourself in any case, being by yourself/with yourself, or travelling by yourself anywhere, and how well you handle yourself under the conditions you encounter everyday at home.

Brazilians are very open and helpful, as you must already know, and you are likely to encounter very little hassle as a female (unlike some other countries). You might be flirted with, but probably not pressured. You should be somewhat familiar with conditions in Brazil from your last trip. On any journey outside of Carnaval season, things are likely to be calmer all around than what you may have experienced in Salvador at that time. Of course, the more Portuguese you learn, the more easily you will be able to negotiate all the day to day travel details, and the more Brazilians you may meet. Staying at hostels might maximize your chances of meeting other foreign travellers with whom to see the sights.

Iguacu has hostels and safe, inexpensive hotels, and it is easy to get around by local bus to both sides of the park. There is a bus that goes from the town of Foz in Brazil to the Brazilian side of the park. Same thing on the Argentine side, from Puerto to that side of the park. And there is a bus that connects the bus station in Puerto with a little bus stand in Foz.

You might want to plan more time for the Pantanal. Three days is a good amount of time to 'be' there, but add a day to arrive and a day to get out of this remote area again. Poster "ericos", the forum expert on that area, has a short list of good budget lodges/tours in the south Pantanal. You could also consider a day or so in Bonito if you enter from the south.

Best wishes for another stellar trip in Brazil !

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

There are no problem to travel alone to Brazil. Even to a girl. You know that, as it is not your first time in Rio.

Same to Argentina.

Your trip plans are nice. I only think that 4 days in Iguaçu falls are too much.

One day each side are enough!

Say 'hi' when your each Rio.

Brazil Rio

Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

Michelle also consider Maranhao state (North-Eastern Brazil) with the fabulous Lençois Maranhenses white sand desert, really stunning and unique.

Anyway I'd spend less time in Iguaçu...

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
118 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

For Iguazu, you need a full day on the Brazil side and a full day on the Argentina side. On the Brazil side, use www.dehouche.com to help you book your side trips. They are the best in Brazil and have won awards from Conde Naste Traveler every year. They can get you a discount to stay at the Hotel Cataratas on the Brazil side. It is the only place with a view fo the falls on the Brazil side. See teh falls and then go see the bird park, very cool. Then you will spend a full day on the Argentina side. Be sure and do the boat ride into the falls.

In the Pantanal, we stayed at the Fazenda San Francisco, which was recommended as the place to see animals, and we saw everything! There ar enice places there, but they are not as known for seeing animals.

And I have a kitesurfing travel business (www.ozonetravel.com based in Miami) here and we have a partnership with a great, reputable touring company with the only drivers in town I would recommend. He used to live in the States so speaks perfect English and has nice, safe cars. We get a better deal than you will get for drivers through the hotels. And if you use us we will share our recommended itineraries along with restaurant recommendations, hotels, etc. Let me know if you are interested!

5. Re: Traveling to Brazil alone as a single female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro