We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some help with itinerary

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Need some help with itinerary

My husband and I are going to Rio de Janeiro for a week in late November. My initial thought was to go to Buzios immediately from the airport for three nights and then spend the last four nights in Santa Teresa but now I am thinking Paraty might be a better option for us (we are in our 50's). I am confused though about why it takes four hours to get to Paraty when according to a Google search it really isn't that much further than Buzios, which apparently is about a two hour drive. So my new plan is to spend two nights in Leblon or Ipanema, three nights in Paraty and the last two nights in Santa Teresa. Does this make sense?

Niterói
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some help with itinerary

Sounds delightful.

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
38 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some help with itinerary

Well, Buzios is north of Rio de Janeiro whereas Paraty is south.

Paraty is a historic city, and one of the biggest attractions is its colonial architecture. Buzios is famous for its beaches, B&B, and restaurants.

Santa Teresa, Ipanema and Leblon are all in Rio (the city) and offer good nightlife options.

I would rather spend one or two nights in Paraty; one or two nights in Buzios and the rest in Rio. Remember your will fly in/out of Rio, anyway.

One thing to consider is the time of the year, as the rain season is slightly different in Buzios and Paraty.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some help with itinerary

Thanks for your replies. Does it usually rain in Buzios in late November/early December? I don't really want to go to a beach town if it will probably rain most of the time that time of year. Paraty wouldn't matter that much if it's mainly an architectural type of place.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
118 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some help with itinerary

It can be rainy then, but Buzios and Parati can be booked at the last minute, with most hotels providing a shuttle for not a huge cost. When my parents were here last year, we had Parati booked and it was rainy so we cancelled at the last minute and booked them on a flight to Iguazu Falls which they loved. Then this year when they came back we took them to Parati. So that tinme of year if you can make it flexible that is always best.

And to answer your question, Buzios takes about 2 1/2 hours (depends on traqffic getting over the bridge out of Rio) and if the traffic is not bad going the other way to Parati, you can make it there is 3 1/2 hours, the worst part being getting out of the city. Stay away from holiday weekends or you will be in the car all day!

But if you are only coming here for one week, I would say spend 5 nights here in Rio and then 2 in Parati, watching the weather to be there on nice days. Our favorite site for weather here is: …uol.com.br/previsaodotempo.html/…

If you want more info, email me at missy@ozonetravel.com.

Have fun planning your trip!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some help with itinerary

Very good idea about booking at the last minute. I may just do that. Thanks for your help!

6. Re: Need some help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro
Recent Conversations