We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

I'm hoping anyone can tell me if I need to reschedule my Rio-Cusco flights. My agent has booked the following flights on 4 Jan 2011:

Rio-Lima on TACA 0650-0930

Lima-Cusco on LAN Peru 1100-1215

Has anyone caught similar flights before. With only 1.5 hours between the flights and given they're 2 different airlines, am I keeping the flights too close to each other - risking delays from Rio and possibly missing my LAN flight? Would I be better off catching a later flight to Cusco, eg. leaving at 1pm or so. My preference is not to stay over in Lima but would it be less stressful?

Any comments greatly appreciated. This is our first trip to South America but we've travelled a fair bit in Australia, Asia and Europe.

Btw I will also have travel insurance but would prefer not to have any issues. Thanks heaps!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

I am not sure this is a question for a Rio forum. In any case: Lima is a reasonably well run airport but you'll need to clear immigration and customs before checking your bags onwards to Cuzco. I think you can make it, TACA is usually very punctual and in any case there are several flights a day from Lima to Cuzco. I wouldn't stress.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

Hi thefoureyedpanda, thanks for your reply. Great to hear. This is my first forum post ever in TA so still inexperienced with which forum to post questions to.

Have a great day!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

safe travels!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
107 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

Hmm, I am not quite sure I agree with that post. We just flew to Peru last month and stopped over in Lima and TACA in that airport are an unorganized nightmare! They had like 10 flights arriving at the same time and only 4 agents working! Our layover on the way over was fine because we had all day and checked our bags and explored Lima, but on the way back we had 4 hours before our return flight to Rio, and we waited over 2 hours in line and had to go straight to our flight when we were planning to have lunch. And I was yelling at the agent because by the time we got up to the counter they told us they could not get us seats together. It seemed to be complete disorganization and totally avoidable for them.

Not sure what to tell you,but thought I would pass on my experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

Hi redseachic

Obrigada, thanks for the input. It gives me something to consider too.

Looking forward to visiting Rio.. it looks amazing!

Have a great weekend!

6. Re: Rio-Cusco flying TACA/LAN Peru. Is 1.5 hour stopover enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro