We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

Yessir, yessir YESSIR!!!!!!!!!!!! You lucky devils that get to party down there in the coming weeks for New Years and Carnival, enjoy. I wish I could be there. I'll be down in June with 3 newcomers. Questions:

So Club Help is closed, huh? Damn! Too bad!! I didn't find alot of western style nightlife and wasn't good at samba dancing to try in Brazil style clubs. Plus, the local women in some of those extra nice clubs seemed shy. Forget the names of them. (Maybe because there was four of us guys and they were intimidated, I'm thinking, IDK)

Help was our failsafe last time I went after disappointments at some of the other clubs. We'd circle back there and always have some music to dance/listen to and great views. (LOL. Relax. Keeping it clean [but this IS Rio, right?] LOL) Any other good hang out places like Help? Just curious. If you don't know or if that's a touchy one with you, please ignore. Thanks.

What's changed in the last two years, despite the announcements of the WC and Olympics in coming years? Is the exchange rate, US to BRR, still 1 to 1.7? Let me know. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

Also, I'm hearing of the huge ATM problem there. I've used the one HSBC alot in the past but not anymore. A friend mentioned exchanging money prior to going and showing up with Reais. I don't know if I wanna carry around a weeks worth of Reais from NY, on the plane and then to my apt. But it got me thinking, with all the theft problems around RDJ.

2. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 14:31
3. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 14:29
Edited: 19 December 2010, 14:29
4. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 14:29
Edited: 19 December 2010, 14:29
5. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 14:31
New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

Why don't you turn on your PM to discuss your PERSONAL beef in private instead of locking it to avoid answering people and bringing this nonsense on the open thread?

I didn't use any code words but I was careful with my wording because I know this is a family-oriented forum. I find it sad that you just jump to conclusions about things, basically meaning that you're assuming things, which is comical. You're being an antagonist.

Hmm. No ATM problem? I guess that huge thread with people talking about their cards being scanned is all make-believe, huh? I guess the articles I've read about the ATM problems (and not just in Brazil, US, UK, etc) is fake? Pfffttt!!!! I think you need to realize that Brazil, Rio, is very traveled. People are going to come there and have their assumptions from what they here and sometimes seek that out. Just like when I tell people I'm from NY, people's first word is "dangerous". Not as much any more but I don't get ANGRY about it. But once again, I made no mention of any extracurricular stuff at the place. *sigh*.

I guess you're gonna tell me that crime doesn't happen there, just other places, right? The kid who was walking up to my table, eyeing my bag of souvenirs until the waiter yelled at him to get away, wasn't REALLY up to anything, right? Or the kids that I saw trying to snatch things from other people was just an illusion? Tsk, tsk.

You've once again displayed that you have a quick temper when it comes to anyone questioning anything about Rio or having the nerve to mention places like Club Help. Sorry bud. Places like that have been happening well before our time, up to now and probably beyond. I don't know what to tell you.

If any kids are reading this forum, this thread, they wouldn't know anything about "stuff" at Help from ME because I DIDN'T MENTION IT. YOU DID!! What's even more stupid and ridiculous is that you can walk past that place all the time, when it was open, sit out there and have a drink and there'd be kids walking by with their parents very frequently during the day. And what about a family day at the beach for heaven's sake, and the sites out there? LOL.

Your issue is with what goes on in Rio and then you get mad when people talk about it (WHICH I DIDN'T ONCE AGAIN). Since you're down there, why don't you take your fight to the powers that be and stop picking fights with people who haven't done anything. It's like getting mad at someone who is paid 10 million a year to play soccer when the real fight would be with who is giving him the money.

Thanks for hijacking my thread with this nonsense.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

Not a personal beef. No harasssment of any individual. No quick temper. No backroom discussions. A strong (and reasonable considering what the negative end result of such tourism is, on the culture and on marginalized young women) objection to the implied topic of the post. TA rules state "“you expressly agree not to post .....through the Site .....: any ("Content") that is …. indecent, lewd, suggestive…….. or otherwise objectionable” You state:"the local women in some of those extra nice clubs seemed shy." and the club "was our failsafe last time I went after disappointments at some of the other clubs. We'd circle back there and always have some ... great views. (LOL. Relax. Keeping it clean [but this IS Rio, right?] LOL) " That language is at the very least suggestive code, esp when referring to a club that was infamous for being filled with "professional women" and their gringo clients and onlookers.

I will continue to object to such postings which IMO add only to Rio's (and Brazil's) exaggerated image, as much a negative as any postings about crime. And as a matter of fact, it was my friend's kid who clicked the thread and asked questions. If you don't want your thread to discuss what it is actually discussing, keep it to private message and no one on a family forum who doesn't want to read about this inappropriate stuff has to even see it. If you buy drugs, you support the drug trade, so if you "solicit services", ditto, not an innocent. I call into question TA's judgement in not following their own guidelines above, but then (as noted recently) their judgement on what should stand has often been questionable.

Happy to answer your question about the "issue" of ATM problems, which IMO is not an issue if reasonable care is taken, as anywhere in the world. See the recent thread with video links to some ways to take care with your cards, though. The "huge" thread of 13 posts is mostly people saying that it can happen anywhere or that they themselves haven't had any problems in Brazil.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Brazil
Brazil
South America
New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

Nonsense. I DON'T question TA's judgment on this thread because they know that it is RIO. Your friend's kid clicked on the thread, huh? LOL. I doubt it. You wanna assume. Fine. I assume you fabricated that to try and strengthen your weak stance.

Why, for years, have they held the Hippie Fair right across the street from Help? The Hippie Fair is well chronicled and many flock to it. I think Samantha Brown was there on her trip to Rio. Sure, no mention of Help but right there by it so guess what? People kind of know what goes/went on at Help and similar places and they tolerate it to a degree. You're assuming that anyone going into the place is up to no good. Wrong assumption. If I mention "nice views", that doesn't mean anything more than nice views. Like most people, I like nice views, especially in Rio. Be it a beach view, the Corcovado, sunsets, mountains, people, etc... Views. Isn't that what Rio is known for? *Sigh*

As I said, your beef is with the higher powers of Rio. They allow what happens in Rio to happen. You need to go talk to them. You're out of line trying to "re-direct" someone for mentioning a RENOWNED place that many flock to that you don't like. Or rather, "re-directing" someone because you ASSUME they're patronizing the professionals rather than just being out with friends, having a drink and enjoying music.

I was at a bachelor party once. Guess what? Although it wasn't a wild party, I didn't partake in the on-goings so I shouldn't be bludgeoned because I happened to be there.

I'll be on the beach with my friends, smoking cigars and drinking caiprinhas, minding our business and yup. There's a chance we get "approached" by a pro or two like before. Oh well. No thank you and no big deal. Maybe, as before, we'll have some waiters, doormen, etc... ask us if we need "anything". No thank you. Maybe me mentioning this stuff angers you (and some others) but just calling it like we KNOW it is.

So what though? It's Rio and it's beautiful. I joked around about the "nice views" and put LOL because we know what those views are up to. You should ask TA to totally ban talk of the place or those like it, since you have such issue with such talk of a well-known place/thing. Bottom line is I worded my post carefully.

I don't know if you're in some fantasy land either but (though it's getting bad other places, too) you and this "no ATM problem" thing is laughable. I've read many posts here and articles elsewhere about this ISSUE, yes it is an ISSUE. But you seem to think there is none. It's discussed here and other travel sites (Virtual Tourist, igougo, etc...)

I'll stop typing. You stop assuming.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
850 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

A minor point but the Hippie Fair is held in Ipanema. There is a nightly market in Copa but it's not the Hippie Fair

Mentioned in this post
Ipanema Beach
Ipanema Beach
16,855 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wooo!!! 1000th TA post. Returning to Rio in June!!!!!

IMO= in MY opinion... in regards to the atm issue response

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro