We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

Hello,

I have read that Dengue has reached the Million infected people in Brazil. And I believe that the worst time of the year is summer.

How bad is it now? I noticed that it is particularly worst than the last few years and has been increasing in intensity.

I am thinking to visit in the very end of December, possibly next year. What's the risk if infected? Has there been any deaths or severe health problems related to Dengue this year?

Plsnning to visit Rio, Paraty, Pentanal, possbly: Salvador, Uro Preto, Buzios.

Many thanks

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

I was in Rio de Janeiro,Salvador 2010 and there were no risk with Dengue.

The worst of all time was in 2002 when the authority didn´t handle things right

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

For "increasing in intensity" read "lots of media coverage of one particular year in Rio". It's always a problem of some degree, most anywhere in Brazil, urban or rural, in season. Use repellent and know what the symptoms are so you can seek help if needed. And go enjoy your vacation without getting paranoid.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

Dengue is endemic in Rio and there have been many deaths and countless people infected, however, in all these years, I've only heard of one foreign tourist infected. This is mainly due to the areas where tourists stay.

I'd say the chances of you getting sick with dengue are very close to zero.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

Thanks a lot for all the advice, guys

5. Re: How bad is the Dengue in Brazil?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2012, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro