We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Rio...

Ohio
14 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car in Rio...

Greetings, We are going to be arriving in Rio and heading to Buzios for a week. We will need a car in Buzios. Should we rent one in Rio or just take the bus to Buzios and rent a car in Buzios? We have heard stories of crazy driving in Brasil, especially in the large cities, so that is why we are concerned.

Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Rio...

As explained in many other posts in TA (search in the white box for detailed info), it is not safe to drive in certain areas of Rio de Janeiro and of its suburbs and not (just) because of the way people drive. It is not too difficult to get lost even if you have a gps and you're Brazilian

Use public transportation to move around Rio State. If *really* necessary rent a car in Buzios.

Enjoy Rio & Buzios!

Ohio
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Rio...

Luca-Rome - thanks so much for your reply. You probably saved us a lot of trouble. I will be sure to search previous posts too. take care!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Rio...

I have driven in Rio many times, including to Buzios. However, Rio drivers tend to drive very aggressively compared to the US. If you are accustomed to driving in a big city, you might be ok but otherwise driving in Rio without any prior experience will probably leave you stressed. But once you leave the city, the drive to Buzios is easy.

As an alternative, you can take the bus to Buzios and then rent a beach buggy there....

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Rio...

I have done this exact thing many times. BUT without a command of the language it is harder. I know at one point the road splits and it says "Lakes Region" in Portuguese with no mention of Buzios. So unless you know that... I have gone the wrong way on that split and had to backtrack after about 15 minutes. The signage is more orrientated on where you are going versus the road number or name so it can be confusing.

5. Re: Renting a car in Rio...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 05:17