We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

London, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

Hi everyone :) I am staying at the vidigalbergue hostel in vidigal, I will be travelling alone.Never been to Brazil before but am looking forward to it. Ive also never shoved everything into a backpack before or shared a room since I was on a school trip.But i'm cool with that.

Few questions, carnvial what do I get tickets for, parade sambadrome..confused.I'm getting my sis to help me make a costume, but do I get tickets now or is it cheaper or better towait till im there then where do I go?

I would love to get to the Amazon rainforest but how..and whats the damage.I've travelled alot but never been to a rainforest before.

Planning to go to igazu falls..wrong spelling..but argentisn side or brazilian side, the latter from what I read you don't get to explore the falksin brazil.Readyou can get a bus there.

Trying not to plan everything, want to go with the flow, but neef to check out thr culture, beaches, carnival, nightlife and whatever else pops.up.Would love to try handgliding.

I'm 30 in March so it's my pre present to myself.Not able to volunteer bcos im not there long enough,. Any mini projects I can get involved with for a few days.

Im female by the way, anyone else out therr at this time and want to meet up there or before, im in london.Let me know..sorry if i've repeated questions but ive trawled forums..thanks in advance :) so.excited..anything that is off the beaten track is a must too..more reading for me and learning a bit of portuguese

Rio de Janeiro
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

Vidigal? this is a favela... "slum"

Are you sure about to stay there? it is not a good place even to most of us,brazilians.

Welcome,

Brazil Rio

London, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

Yeah I hope so, it has good reviews better than some glitzy hotel or hostel by the beach, apparently a nice.community. I wanted to be involved in building projects or anything I can do to help if needed.But i'm nit there long enough.Sure i'll be fine and hopefully the money will go into decent peoples pockets.So long as I can hop on a bus..train and explore sure i'll be fine.Has it got a reputation for being rough,.if so then what will be will be. Thanks for your concern :)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

Hi Choca!

Yes, Brazil_Rio is right. In fact, it is, though the amazing situation on the top of the hill viewing Ipanema, a huge and not so safe favela.

But things are really going better and, today, we can say Rio is much safer, even in these poorer areas considerd of high risk before.

I´ve read about your hostel (I´ve just heard about, I did not know yeat anybody that have been there!) and the reviews are, indeed, pretty good, I did like it too. Moreover, people from that "well located communities/favelas" are, step by step, learning the importance of tourism so you can wait mainly firndly and happy behaviors.

Good luck, see you in Rio!

London, United...
Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

Hi Gusdali, have only just seen this.Thanks for your reply.Can I ask there is mention of a bus stop near by and local mini vans..can get no info where these take me to.Any other suggestions for random things to do whilst i' m there will be fab.Have to find the cheapest way to the amazon and igazcu falls :-)

5. Re: Booked for 10-20th feb 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro
Recent Conversations