We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Rio

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san jose,ca
3 posts
Save Topic
safety in Rio

We'll be going to the Rio Carnival for the first time. Friends have told us so many horror stories. We have the following questions.

1) is it safe to ride subway ?

2) is it safe to lock passport & money in the hotel safe ?

3)When you're @ the beach, where do you keep your valuables ?

Thank you anyone who can give us some answers.

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Rio

have your "friends" been to Rio?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Rio

Hi there I can answer you on that one as I was in rio for the carnival and I was on my own. Firslty its pretty safe traveling on the subway to the carnival Just make sure you know your section as its a different subway depending on which section you are in. The subways are packed so basically its safey in numbers, but of course be aware of pickpockets. I even traveled back on my own. One tip is to buy your subway ticket earlier in the day as by the evening there are huge crowds and if you dont have a numbered seat get there very early to get a good vantage spot. The hotels safe are usually safe and you can store your valuables and passport without much fear. I only walked along the beach. I imagine the best bet is to only go to the beach with your costume or have a friend guard your stuff. Dont go to the beach at night. With some precautions rio is not totally deserving of its bad reputation. Best place to stay is ipanema if you havent booked anywhere yet althoug imagine you have as rooms are at a premium during carmival.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Rio

I think agietravels1 has provided you with a good response. I'll just add something about the subway: it is fine, but avoid taking it during rush hours (especially from 5pm till 7pm), as it'll be packed. As a person living in Rio, I think that the subway is the safest public transportation. It's also very clean, trains are air-conditioned, etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
501 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Rio

I went to Rio in October with my wife (we are 29 years old) we had absolutely no problems with the subway, we travelled on it off peak hours. We also took the bus to both Sugar Loaf and Cristo and had no issues.

As far as safety is concerned just use common sense. I stayed in Ipanema which is very tourist heavy and felt very safe especially compared to the times where I walked through Copacabana.

I brought my passport with me at all times but I do this in any country. I kept things in my hotel safe with no issues but I guess that depends on the reputation of your hotel.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in Rio

Take a look at the Top questions about RIO DE JANEIRO...

Is Rio Safe?

It will help you.

Nowadays things are really better in Rio but it is not the safest place in the world yet.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in Rio

Good advice from all. At the beach, you should just take a little money and maybe your hotel key along with beach essentials. As most of the time is spent in the sand and not in the water at the city beaches, you should be able to keep an eye on your stuff.

here are further beach tips:

rio-de-janeiro-travel-information.com/Rio-de…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in Rio

I don't know where the advice to avoid the beach at "night" comes from. Or maybe I don't have the same definition for "night". We were in Copacabana last month, and there was a lot of people walking down the beach, playing footvolley in the sand, eating at one of the restaurants or having a drink on the boardwalk at 11 PM.

It felt as animated and as safe as the streets in Montreal during a hot summer night.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in Rio

Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon and even Barra da Tijuca boardwalk are all of them, excellent, busy and lively places to stroll till (about) 10pm on summer time and 9pm (winter time).

Late at night, it gets more empty and so, not so interesting to explore, due to the fact that see and be seen is one of the best things to do there (beside the bars and the landscape). When they get desert, they´re not the safest place of the world, but I´d consider only Copa unsafe after midnight.

That is not only a question of safety, but a matter of what to do and see.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 13:49
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in Rio

We agree with GUSDALi 100%. If you stroll on the beach later in the evening, you are just asking for trouble. Even in the early evening you want to stay in well lit areas, at the Kiosks, or where the well lit sporting activities are happening. Like any big city, Rio has criminal opportunists who seek out easy targets. Tourists stroling along the darkened beach at night away from other people are such targets.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in Rio

I wouldn’t stroll on any Rio beach once the sun begins to go down.

A friend of mine was held up at gunpoint just before dusk on the beach in Ipanema while he was taking pictures. He lost his camera, his wallet, his iPhone, and, most regrettably, his sense of security.

Semi-deserted beaches at all times of the day or night are hotspots for muggers and should be avoided.