We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

ottawa
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

Hello!

Im a second year student wanting to travel to Rio during the summer months (may-august) and I was wondering which time would be the best to travel?

Also if anyone knows any resorts that are pretty well priced that would be amazing :)

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
22,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

May is a wonderful time of year to visit Rio. Cooler temperatures, lower humidity, and prices for rooms are not as high, although don't expect any great bargains.

Not sure what you mean by "resort." If you're a student on a budget, you might want to consider booking a hostel. Have a look at the links below and read the reviews to see if any of them might suit your budget and your needs.

http://bit.ly/cUdz2F

http://bit.ly/yjNa19

http://bit.ly/A7XCmr

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

There really are no "resorts" in Rio De Janeiro - the city - like you will find in some beach resort cities. There is nothing cheap about Rio regardless. But for "cheap" look for March to June, then September until the end of November. Actually, the American Airlines Award award travel calendar is a good guide to follow....anytime they offer 40K AAdvantage miles for R/T travel (versus 60 or 120) to travel to Rio is a cheaper time to travel to Rio.

Based on your timeframe you indicated, May - August, I would probably suggest May.

If you are on a budget, I would also recommend an apartment rental versus a hotel. Hotels are very expensive year around. Hostels is another option....

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

Forgot to mention - Resorts that are "pretty well priced that would be amazing" really do not exist in Brazil.....especially in Rio :-)

Think of it this way - whatever price you would pay for X star property in Canada or the US, multiply it by 3 times the price in Rio to get the same experience....

Also, a 4 star property in Canada or the US is actually closer to a 2 or 3 star property in Rio... 5 star, well there are only a couple (Fasano and Copacabana Palace) and expect to pay through the nose!!!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

Hi Jessica!

Firstly about the time to come: I agrre with Monte... and between May and August, choose May.

For students, resorts may not be so interesting, except if you have a large group to enjoy some days together. So, a well located hostel in Ipanema or Leblon (Lemon Spirit Hostel is one of my favorites) would fit you better.

I fully agree with Tom too. Prices here are out of control.

But, eventhought, if you insist in the idea of spend a couple of days in a resort in the surroundings of Rio, Mangaratiba and Angra dos Reis, in the southern coast of Rio´s sate are good options midway to Paraty.

Some good ones are Club Med Rio das Pedras, Hotel do Frade, Portogalo and Tulip Angra

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

Well, Rio is a large city, despite its fame for being some kind of tropical paradise. It's a large city, with 6,000,000 + inhabitants, which is fun for having this big city profile as well as beaches and natural spots. By saying that I mean that you really won't find resorts in the city, just like any other major city in the world. However, if you have some time, try to visit Rio by staying at a hostel and then travel to smaller cities nearby, such as Paraty and Búzios. Then you'll have the chance to also visit places which are less exploited by humans and closer to the nature. :)

6. Re: Cheapest, best time to go to Rio!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro