We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist transportation guidance

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
139 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist transportation guidance

Hello:

My husband and I will be in Rio for 2 days in December. I have read the safety warnings about not carrying cash or cameras, staying in populated areas etc. (Thanks for all for that advise.)

We will be staying at the Marriott on Copacabana and planning to hit the main tourist sites (including sky diving).

Also, it is safe to walk in the evenig from the Marriott to one of the nearby restaurants?

What is the best way for us to get around to the sites? Taxi? Subway? Walking?

If it is taxi, what is the best way to make arrangements? I was not planning to have a phone.

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

Before heading out to restaurants, the sushi restaurant in the Marriott is great. If you sit at the bar, you can order an all you can eat for about R$60.

There is a taxi stand in front of the Marriott that is pretty honest and reasonable, go tell them where you want to go, ask if they will wait for you and take you back.

The area around the hotel is generally safe, but stay away from the beach proper after dark and stay where there are people.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

Good advice from Assen66. Use the taxi stand opposite the Marriott.

Once the sun goes down, much of Avenida Atlantica becomes a venue for hookers and attendant lowlife, so be especially careful even in front of your hotel, where I once saw a young woman rip a gold chain from the neck of a startled tourist—and this was shortly before noon.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

To get a taxi you just go out on the street and get one, but, of course , you can ask your hotel to ask for one and it is probably best.

I would go to restaurants outside hotels. Rio is not knowed for having great restaurants at hotels.

I would advice you to go to Leblon and walk around with no big jewelry or cameras. Just a small digital camera is ok.

Or, go to Ipanema, Or Santa Tereza to walk around. Go to Barbecue place at Rio´s, Porcão, in Aterro.

This is to eat.

For one day tour, go to Petropolis, get a island tour, a tour that take you to Magaratiba and there you getr a boat for a day tour. it is wothwhile. Both, Petropolis and this magaratiba tour that I forgot the name of the tour.

Enjoy yourself.

If you want to walk on the beach at night go for it. We do. But do not carry with you anithing valuable. Don´t react if someone try to still you because you look like a tourist. Just give it to them, in the case they try. Walk on the walks way not on the sand at night.

En joy. Rio is just a big city like many others.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

I'm not sure if the sushi is still R$ 60.00 at the JW Marriott - last year I called them to ask for information and it was something like R$ 90.00 - which is extremely overpriced (you can have an all you want for R$ 45.00 in Ipanema with the same or better quality; in case you're interested, look for Nik Sushi, Benkei and the one at the Everest Hotel).

But regarding the location itself, Ipanema is much nicer than Copacabana. This is a common topic here on this forum. Copacabana has more hotels than Ipanema, and that includes 4 and 5 stars ones. However, the best place to stroll is Ipanema and, in my opinion, the beach in Ipanema is trendier, nicer, etc. Copacabana won't be dangerous if you avoid walking at the beach during proper night, as said above. But if you're willing to stroll, hail a cab and go to Ipanema and Leblon. It'll be much nicer (that's just a personal perception of mine, which is shared by other users here).

Edited: 17 March 2012, 20:36
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

Now regarding transportation: taxis aren't expensive in Rio, so I think you can easily hail one at the Marriott.

For those staying in Copacabana, I always recommend taking the subway (+ the bus connection) in order to get to the Corcovado Station. Siqueira Campos metro station is located a few blocks away from your hotel and you should purchase the Expresso ticket (it's a purple one and costs R$ 4.15). Then you'll have to drop off at Largo do Machado station and get the 580 connecting bus, which is included in such fee. One of the last stops of such bus is right across the Corcovado Station and the bus driver usually informs that.

The metro is very safe and I'd recommend taking it for those who are not willing to take cabs all the time. Just avoid the metro during rush hours!!!!! It's packed.

Then you'll have to catch the train to Corcovado or take a van; neither is included in such metro fee, ok? Please check the topics regarding the access to Corcovado for further information.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,732 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

Corcovado Information:

http://bit.ly/qjj3lp

Sugar Loaf Information:

http://bit.ly/p1EVRE

http://bit.ly/AhvOtS

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

You are probably right about the price, it was two years ago when I paid R$60. Thanks for the update.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

Taxi is your safer and most eficient option, I agree. But for something else in the surroundings you can do by foot...

Lunch and dining options near your hotel:

La Trattoria http://www.latrattoriario.com.br/, a kind of lively (a bit confusing) italian "cantina". Cheap and delicious lasagna as well as the amazing , the Agnoloti Funghi truffled.

Le Pre Catelan at Sofitel, probably the best french restaurant in Brazil.

Cipriani by Copacabana Palace. Expensive as the above, but very very romantic fine dinner with a piano beside the most charming swimming pool of Rio.

Dom Camilo: good pizzas and some home style brazilian dishes

Siri Mole & cia (Arpoador), very best seafood brazilian culinary with an african (or from Bahia state) touch.

La Fiorentina (Leme), vibrant restaurant - bar, excellent to drink and appetize, but dispose good value for money dishes too.

The terrace of Othon Palace as of most of the hotels at Av Atlântica offers a good Feijoada (brazilian beans typical receipt) every Ssaturday.

D´Amici, in Leme, excellent attention, good wine list, international cousine (but thight dinning room).

Shirley´s is the best spanish restaurant of Rio, in Leme. Simple but very good seafood in an informal environment.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
33 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

The island tour I mentioned is called Ilhas Tropicais. It is very good. Give you a glimpse of that area ina one day tour.

Try places at the beach in Copacabana. Even at night they are full of people. People do Jogging, wlk, it is nice and most have something to eat.

Siri Mole is special... try Acarajé there.

Then, another day... go to Academia da Cachaça and try their feijoada, or queijo qualho with honey in leblon ( Conde Bernadote st.) ; Juice and Cia at Gen San Martin st.

I think you will like it all.

10. Re: Tourist transportation guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:28
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro