We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
953 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Hi All,

I am planning to travel to the 2014 world cup for a couple of weeks with my family (2 adults and 2 children). I am just starting to think about accommodation which I know is likely to be at a premium. We would ideally like to stay near the beach in a villa as this is likely to be cheaper than a hotel for 2 weeks?

Any websites I can start looking at, what sort of price can I expect to pay, is a villa likely to be cheaper option than a hotel?

Thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

10 hotels and hostels in Rio de Janeiro for the 2014 Brazil World Cup.

http://bit.ly/16MSywU

london
Level Contributor
953 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Hi I saw that article in the guardian today BUT all the accommodation is either booked or unavailable......

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff created a committee yesterday to monitor abusive price hikes of hotel rates and flight tickets offered to both national and international fans during the FIFA World Cup soccer (football) tournament that Brazil will host in June and July 2014.

http://bit.ly/18sVsH8

Johannesburg, South...
10 posts
Save Reply
94. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Hi,

Can anyone advise on whether Niteroi would be a good option to stay in? Is there decent travel/transport options to Copa and if so prices, durations, etc.a nd what time does the trasportation stop?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

There are some decent business class hotels in Niteroi and it would be cheaper to stay there. The transportation options woudl be taxi, or taking a bus to a metro line on the "Rio side" of the bridge and then to maracana . It would be a lot of time in transit.

I think it would be better to look for lodgings in Botafogo, Flamengo, or some of the other South Zone neighborhoods away from the more priecy beach locations. Find a spot near a metro stop.

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
759 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

My suggestion would be to stay in the city of Lorena. Its is one of Brazil's best kept tourist secrets.

On the down side, it is 3 hours from Rio by modern bus.

The big bonus is that you are only 3 hours from São Paulo, so you could see the Opening Match AND the Final. Also much cheaper as Lorena is not popular with tourists (although it deserves to be - the views over the Mantiqueira Hills are spectacular, and it is a good base to explore Bocaina National Park.)

The top hotels are the Olympia Hotel and the DOM Apart Hotel, both centrally located.

The town is small enough to walk around. A taxi from Lorena Bus Station costs R$ 10 which is about USD 4.50.

london
Level Contributor
953 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
97. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Hi - Is Rua Raul Pompéia a safe area, is it near a metro and restaurants/supermarket?

Thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
98. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

It's near Arpoador and Ipanema and in a good area, not far from metro. Restaurants and markets nearby.

london
Level Contributor
953 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
99. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Thanks Monte

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
100. Re: Fifa World Cup Accommodation

Just wondering how everybody is fairing in their accommodation search? I booked a hotel on Hotels.com on Monday only to receive an email the following day confirming the cancellation. Only thing is, I didn't cancel it! I believe that the hotel unilaterally cancelled my stay for either a longer booking or more money. Likely both. Of course, I cannot confirm this. However, it was a family room that slept six people. More than a bit in demand I'm sure...

I fortunately have been able to secure a condo but am still in need of accommodation for two nights. So, the search continues. Would really like to find something in Ipanema and while not willing to totally break the bank, will look at some more expensive options provided that they're actually quality places not just hovels with jacked up prices : / Any and all suggestions welcome!

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro