We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
606 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

We could have 1 night to stay in Santa Teresa (staying near Ipanema for other part of trip) and it would be more convenient to International Airport for our very early a.m. flight. Any suggestions on what might be a convenient inn and that might accept a 1 night booking? We have heard problems with the transport in and out of Santa Teresa so need to be sure that a cab can be easily hailed or ordered from our lodging that morning. Thank you. Would prefer to keep the cost at $200 or less.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Santa Teresa is very inconvenient for cabs and public transportation. Check with your hostel/hotel/bed and breakfast if they can make a cab reservation for you. There are cab companies which are based in Santa Teresa.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Santa is not a must by night and I prefer it much more during the day.

if you are so interested in Santa Teresa, I would:

Spend the day at Centro (old center area, Cinelandia, Paco Imperial, Arco do Teles, Carioca area, have a lunch at Confeitaria Colombo) and than climb Santa Tereza in the beggining of the afternoon to enjoy the Museu Chacara do Ceu, stroll by Largo do Telles, watch some ateliés and have a beer with some appetizers in Sobrenatural, Espirito Santa or Aprazivel (my favorite) and them head to the Ibis Santos Dumont.

Have a shower, relax and take the opportunity to know Lapa by night, just a 5 minutes ride by taxi to that vibrant night scene. Back to the hotel.

Next morning you will be just 20´ to the Int´l GIG (no more than R$ 40).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

I agree. Stay in Ipanema both nights. Avoid packing/unpacking. You have fewer, not more options, to get to the airport from Santa Teresa. From Ipanema you can take the Royal bus, or taxi. Easy to get. See Santa Teresa during the day. I just don't see the advantages of spending the night there.

Edited: 11 April 2012, 20:03
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Hi...we have 2 nights in Ipanema already booked on our return to the city. Can anyone give me some insights on a hotel for less than $200 US per nite that would be more convenient to the International Airport? We probably won't be out late that night since our flight is very, very early and might want to visit the Lapa area for dining/drinks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

The bus from Real company lasts about 1 hour from Ipanema to the GIG airport, maybe more depending on the trafiic.

Salvador
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Really anyplace in Copacabana and Arpoador (or even Ipanema) is not so far from the airport if the traffic is not bad. IMO you are concerned about nothing. Staying in a so-called closer neighborhood like Catete might save you 5 minutes, maybe.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Hi...just don't understand why such a large city only has one area worth staying (Copa & Ipanema). In all the St. Teresa inn reviews, Brits, Americans, etc. are staying in that area and absolutely love it -- some have even cancelled nights in Copa or Ipanema to extend their stays. My husband and I are very adventurous, world travelers and normally like to experience many parts of a city. It is a shame that I can't get feedback for something beyond the "touristy" section.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

You can stay in Botafogo, Flamengo, Catete, all are fine with slightly lower priced hotels. Flamnego and Botafogo beaches are nice but no way would I go in the water and the area is particularly busy on the weekends.

Santa Teresa is not handy, transport can be problematic and the area is not as safe as others mentioned. The views are incredible and accomadtion is far cheaper than at sea level, for one night I say it is too much trouble.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

Kabahr,

Staying in Santa Teresa, you will exeperience a kind of small town inside a big metropolis. And I have no doubt that it could be interesting if you are looking for something unusual.

But usually, what most of the tourists want is to stay close to the world famous beaches of Copa and Ipanema. And so, Santa is not handy for that.

10. Re: Santa Teresa Hotel/Inn for 1 Night???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:40