We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this is a good area?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Is this is a good area?

Hello,

I found an apartement on Avenida Atlantica, closest Metro is between Catedral Arcoverde and Siqueira Campos.

Is this a good area in term of safety, interest, ease of access elsewhere? Enough restaurants around?

As long as it is safe and not completey far away from everything I'm good.

Thanks!

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this is a good area?

Avenida Atlantica is a good area with acess to many restaurants and of course Copacabana beach.

During nighttime it gets a little bit sketchy.But using the same street awareness as in Montreal,you should manage to avoid the bad experiences.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this is a good area?

thanks BraziliansW. What do you mean by Sketchy? Would you recommend another area elsewhere, around Ipanema or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this is a good area?

Well sketchy depending on the hour.From 10pm-03am, you will see everything from cariocas,tourists,streetkids,drug addicts and it goes down from there.Dont go alone on the beach during night.Many do and many has paid the price.

I dont think Ipanema is more safer because many streets is very dark and isnt much illuminated

Edited: 08 June 2012, 13:13
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this is a good area?

Hum...ok. I am not a night person (home before midnight for sure, even by 11Pm most of the time) but still...

Any other safer ares? Or is this comment common to all Rio?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this is a good area?

Ipanema and Leblon, are in my opinion, are two of the safest neighborhoods in Rio . Stay in Ipanema within 4 blocks of the beach and you'll be fine. The neighborhood becomes more chic as you approach Rua Garcia da Avila.

If you are not a night person, then you'd enjoy Ipanema more so than Copa, which has the 'sleeze factor'' after hours.

Leblon is a wealthy neighborhood with more expensive reataurants and bars, and less apartment rentals than in Ipanema or Copacabana. You'll pay more for an apt in Ipanema but its worth it.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this is a good area?

I agree, Ipanema and Leblon area are much safer and better quality of life than Copacabana. The main problem is the price, much higher.

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this is a good area?

If it's close to Prado Junior Street or Praca do Lido it's not the best area to stay.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this is a good area?

Funny that everbody says that Leblon and Ipanema is safer.Haven´t you all heard about the assaults and robbery against houseowners in Leblon?Gee the more wealth the more criminals.Period

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this is a good area?

Braziliansweden, Ipanema and Leblon are safer. That's what the vast majority of users here think, but you're welcome to share another view.

Copacabana, depending on the area, is fine as well. I would just recommend a place if I have access to the full adress of the apartment/hotel. Otherwise, I wouldn't endorse it.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this is a good area?

The vast majority think, but do not know portuguese and dont read the news. There has been several assaults againt apartment and houseowners in Leblon.Where there is rich people there will be crime.

JGsodre@,i would endorse this adress that spartac has choosen.Which is close to Rua Ministro De Castro.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro