We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

LA
5 posts
Save Topic
Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

Hello all. I'm going to be spending the next 3 months in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil for a study abroad program and I want to be prepared as possible.

Once I touch down at the airport in Rio I want to be able to communicate with family back home (in the USA) as well as classmates that will already be in Rio, so I'm looking into how to get a sim card to do so. Would rather get the card now and shipped to me so that I can have it handy rather than searching with my bags in tow to find a place to purchase in the airport or nearby in RIO.

I have heard of TIM but it appears their sim cards are out of stock on the website www.telestial.com/view_product.php…

Is there any other website where I can purchase a TIM prepaid sim card? They also don't mention anything about having data on their cards, which I think will be necessary for me as a student, so I am also interested in other carriers that are better about that.

Suggestions?

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

Normally, when I receive guest from abroad, they buy at a dimestore called AMERICANAS, they pay R$ 10,00 for the Brazilian SIM card ( TIM, CLARO, VIVO or OI), plus the credits they will need. that's all !

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

Unless I am mistaken, it's difficult to purchase a SIM card without having a Brazilian CPF number (similar to a social security number). You can buy air time cards at Lojas Americanas to recharge an existing SIM Card.

We buy the SIM card at the TIM cellular store on Rua Visconde de Piraja in Ipanema when we arrive, and give our CPF number to get it. It's good as long as you buy more air time at least every 120 days.

There have been reports in the Brazilian news, that the law will change soon, and foreign visitors will be able to get a SIM card just by showing a passport.

Buying Brazilian SIM cards overseas has become difficult to the Brazilian laws, which are meant to thwart drug dealers and other criminals. I would steer clear of Telestial even if they claim to have the card.

You can try buying a SIM card that works in the USA and go to a TIM store in Rio with your phone, the card, and your passport, and they may activate it for you. You will need a GSM ready phone.

LA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

RDJTI, why would you steer clear of TIM?

I hear what you are all saying, and thanks for giving me the name of the store (Americanas) while I am there, but I am talking about a way to communicate once I touch down in Brazil.

Is there no way to have a sim card that works in Brazil prior to arriving there? Also, do these sim cards come with data plans (for accessing the internet from your phone)?

Edited: 18 September 2012, 01:40
Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

Many if not all foreign networks will have connectivity within Brazil, including but not limited to international affiliates of Brazilian based telcos like Claro. The problem is you will be hit with roaming fees from your home network as if the call was being made from your home country. Fine if you are prepared to pay the price.

You can purchase simcards/chips on any street corner as well as at newspaper stands, telco outlets and Lojas Americans. You can also top them up at pretty much any newspaper stand. of which the city has thousands.

The problem you will have is that to activate the simcard you will need a CPF.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

"I would steer clear of Telestial even if they claim to have the card." We had a bad experience with them as an affiliate seller of their cellular services.

I don't think there's a way currently to buy a prepaid Brazilian SIM card ahead of time. I searched a bit and found this company that claims to sell a prepaid card for Brazil. I'd call their USA phone number first and double check. Let us know if it works for you. I e-mailed the company with the question.

https:/…info

I'm not sure if you can purchase Brazilian SIM cards in Rio with internet data services or not.

Unless you can buy a card ahead of time, I think your best shot may be to bring a USA SIM card with you, visit a TIM store with your phone and passport, find someone there who speaks English, and see if they will register and activate your card.

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

You can purchase Internet sim cards if you have a dongle. They are the same card as a phone. You will still need a CPF.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

Well,damn those narcotraffic gangs that led to this CPF issue.Before you could buy a prepaid simcard without CPF.But the narcogangs misused this because they could call anonymous.And the simcard wasn´t linked to any person that the police could track.Now you need register it with a CPF that link the card to the person´s name,adress,birthdate and more.

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

You know, when I go on holiday, I just switch the damn thing off.

Payphones, phone cards, internet cafes, skype, Googletalk etc all still exist.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

True Jorge,I shut down my swedish phone.But then again i turn on my Brazilian dualchip=)Calling free to other people using TIM all over the country is necessary.Specially when you want to hook-up with girls at posto 10 rsrs

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid Mobile Sim Card for Rio De Janeiro

JaeOcean,

It will be pretty easy to find it!

There is an Americanas store on every shopping center and at almost all the neighborhoods in Rio.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro