We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

Hi all,

I have no idea which forum to post this to but I'm just after any advice, opinions or ideas...

I have approx 3 to 4 weeks to travel from Cusco to Rio. After spending a couple of nights in Lima and 2 weeks in Cusco/Lares Trek I need to head off to Rio to meet my parents. After looking at the cost of flights from Cusco (or Lima) to Rio ($1300NZD one way) , I have decided It would make more sense to use more time travel and see a bit a long the way. I dont mind taking smaller cheaper flights along the way to cut some distance.

This is vary vague and I apologise - I dont know much about the area and how to get around so would appreciate any comments.

A little bit about me - I'm a 22 year old female.. Spending 6 months in South America (2 months of that volunteering in Bolivia) . I will be travelling with a friend through Colombia and a bit of Peru and then I will be travelling on my own from there. I have been to Rio (loved it!), Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires a couple of years ago with my partner. My parents have not travelled much - so I am excited to introduce them to Rio, Iguassu and Buenos Aires (I dont mind going back a second time at all! :) )

I will also be taking them to Parati and Angra dos Reis on the way from Rio to Iguassu so don't want to go along that coast on my way to Rio.

I have come up with two possible options . The first is to travel from Cusco - down to La Paz, across to the Pantanal, and then fly on to Rio??? Maybe add in Salvador if I have time...

Does anyone know how to get from La Paz to Cuiaba??? I would like to stop somewhere in Bolivia along the way too.

The second option - is to fly back to Lima, and catch a flight to Iguassu (the only reason in doing this is I see flights with Lan to Igaussu are only NZD$350 oneway) Then travel to the Pantanal from here - and onto Salvador and down the coast to Rio maybe?

Also - I could skip the time in Salvador and swap this for some time in Northern Peru? I have heard Salvador is not a wise decision for a lone traveller?

Thank you in advance for ANY tips, ideas or advice :)

Also - in regards to budget... I have up to max NZ$3000 but I'd prefer to stay in cheap B&B or hostel accommodation and keep costs low.

I am very interested in wildlife and scenery more than anything...and I would love to see a bit of the local culture/people etc, rather than just the tourist drags. Not so much interested in buildings and big cities etc. Rio being the exception to my rule - loads of wildlife and culture!:)

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
97 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

"Does anyone know how to get from La Paz to Cuiaba???'

Well, it's not easy. A quick search on the main airlines' timetables gave me at least 28 hours of travel. If you fly out of Santa Cruz (VVI), you can make it in 12 hours, with a connecting flight in Sao Paulo (GRU), including a 6 hour layover in GRU.

" I could skip the time in Salvador and swap this for some time in Northern Peru?"

I've never been to northern Peru, so I can't compare. Another option is to swap Salvador to Chapada Diamantina, which offers spectacular scenery. There are flights 2x/week from Salvador.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 02:05
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

Meliss,

In fact, regarding logistics, I confess your plans sounded me a bit weird and pretty difficult.

I´d suggest you to go from Cusco to Puno by the scenic andean train. Stay in Puno for 1 full day just to do the lake tour to know Uros and Taquile pueblos.

Then, take a bus to the border city of Copacabana, in Bolivia and cross the border. Take a boat / cruise thorught lake Titicaca and then, head to La Paz, where you should stay no more than 2 days (there you can make the bike down hill at death´s road and visit the pre colombian ruins of Tiwanaku as a side trip, beside knowing its cute small old center).

From La Paz, you should take a flight to Santa Cruz de La Sierra, where I assume you may find a greater availability of flights to Brazil. Or simply take a flight La Paz - GRU (SPaulo´s Int´l airport) and than, GRU - GIG (Rio´s) and, after some days in Rio, head to Foz do Iguaçu / falls area and/or Pantanal (having the awesome Bonito-MS as base town - few flights to there available... more flights to the state´s capital, Campo Grande-MS, about 150km far from Bonito).

Another good option is to flight from La Paz to BsAs and than, from BsAs to the argentinean border town at the falls area, the pleasant Puerto Iguazu, that can be your base there as well.

From there, there are not many flights possibilities to go straight to Pantanal, and so bus should be your choice.

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

I posted on your q in the Peru forum but for the interest of any others wondering the same - It sounds like you have a bit of time for this part of the trip so hereis an option:

Cusco to puno by bus/train

puno to la Paz by bus/boat

La Paz to Santa cruz by bus or plane

Santa cruz to Quijarro by train (approx 20h)

Quijarro to corumba by bus (7h)

Corumba to campo grande for Pantanal

Campo grande to rio by bus or plane

Edited: 04 January 2013, 18:25
4. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 18:36
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
255 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

You may also be able to fly from la paz via asuncion to rio or elsewhere in brazil but you would need to check this and I don't know how much it would cost.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

I appreciated Jo's suggestion and It is not that expensive...

Check this out at www.decolar.com and www.boa.bo

Cusco, Peru
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

When are you leaving for Rio? I have the same plan in kind and I can leave Cusco as soon as the 17th of this month.

8. Re: Cusco to Rio - One Month.... Suggestions???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro