We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Hello,

I have a 4h overlay in the GIG airport. I believe that our luggage is checked all the way, so we won't have to take care of that.

Is it reasonable to take a taxi to somewhere in Rio? I was thinking of Santa Therese because we didn't manage to go there. But not sure where in Santa teresa we would go, or if it's safe at night (we're landing at 6:30PM and taking off at 10:45). Or if it's really worth it. I assume a taxi will cost me around R$65 one way

I know that I will be coming back one day to Rio, so I can visit St theresa then too

Any advie welcome

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Let`s see: you land at 6:30 PM, you'll probably be able to get a taxi by 7PM. Let`s say you reach your destination by 8PM. You'll have to get back by 9PM. I`d say it`s a VERY short time. If you face any big problem in the city`s car traffic (not that uncommon by that time -- rush hour, assuming it`s not on a weekend), you`ll have even less time.

Santa Teresa would be better by morning (safer, good views). If you really want to go to the city, I`d suggest to spend that hour in Urca. Walk around, have dinner, say goodbye to Rio.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

I think you have limited time and it's just not the best time to visit Santa Teresa...I think this part of the city is interesting for a walk during the day, whereas in the evening you won't see much! In this case, I would stay at the airport, even though it's a very boring place.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Thanks guys. We stayed in. Sounded more reasonable.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Spartac,

Good to know you´ve got the right decision to stay at the airport (I fully agree with Sodre).

Just to let it registered for future visitors: the traffic to go out and to go back to the airport is not that predictable... so it would be a question of peace of mind stay there instead of venture anywhere else increasing your risk of loosing your flight back home.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

Find a snack bar in the airport that sells freshly made pão de queijo (baked bread/cheese balls with soft chewy centers). Then eat as many pãos de queijo as you possibly can, as it may be a long time before you will get the real thing again!

…about.com/od/breads/r/paodequeijo.htm

Edited: 15 January 2013, 16:53
6. Re: 4h overlay in GIG: Trip to Rio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro