We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Hi

Myself and my husband will be in Rio from 8th-11th. We want to spend some days seeing Rio, its beaches, attractions etc and dedicate 1 of the days to the Carnival.

Im trying to educate myself via the forum, but still am totally confused as to the ticket system for the parades.

1. Which date out of our possibilities is best? We are considering Saturday 9th, the first day of Carnival.

2. Where do we buy the tickets from?

3. If we bought tickets for Sector 4 for example, does the ticket only allow entrance into that sector?

4. Obviously this depends on sector, but can someone please give an indication of ticket prices. We´d like to go to Sector 4, but we are on a budget for this trip..

Off the carnival topic, can anyone please advise how much a taxi is likely to be from GIG airport to the Jardim Botanico area where we are staying?

Hope to hear from you guys!

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

There are about 100 other threads on this, see the pinned one at the top of the forum

Scotland
Level Contributor
94 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Just briefly, you buy tickets for a sector in which you must stay and find a spot. Only sector 9 has assigned seating. Also the parade on the Saturday is not as good quality as Sunday and Monday.

As for taxis you can get a metered yellow taxi or pay at the airport for a radio taxi at a set price (around 30%) more than a radio taxi

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Have a look at this thread for info on transportation: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k588…

It should be something around R$ 60 or 70 for a regular yellow cab and R$ 100 + for radio taxis.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Have in mind:

Friday and Saturday are the days of group A parade. It is the second division, the access group, not the main one. It is considerd a good value for money option.

Whereas the Sunday and Monday are the main event, the days (nights) of the Special Group Schools Parade, the very best experience, the biggest shows! The tickets for that area almost sold out, but you have still the possibility to purchase it by a very expensive fee (extra-charged by unofficial scalpers - take care with them and have in mind there is also the possibility of tickets falsification).

About the other issues, take a look at the forum that you will find everything.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 11:52
Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

you should google it and find the official carnaval website thy sell there tickets!!

we are a young couple traveling to rio,

Looking for 2 people who want to share an apt in Copacabana, rio de janeiro.

we booked an apr for 4 people but we are only 2.

!! need 2 more people!!.

from feb 8-13(5 nights). the most expensive dates in rio - carnaval days!!

we found it very cheap- for 60$/night per person!. so it will be 120$ for a couple.

its an apt hotel so there is a cleaning lady every day.

there is a kitchen and private bathroom.

please contact me ASAP

email me to

maaianr1@gmail.com

thank you,

Mia

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

hi ~ in Rio now and bought tickets direct from Samboroma at a fraction of the price of carnival bookers etc. transport system very efficient but you need to move fast. they have english speakers and are very helpful at explaining system different sectors seating etc

In fact all locals have been very very helpful First time here absolutely great

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

sorry forgot to say they only take cash ~ no credit cards etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Do you reckon I can get 2 tickets on the 9 feb at the sambodrome for the 11 feb show? Or is that too late ? We only arrive rio on the 9th. I'm so nervous about not getting tickets as the website won't accept my credit card

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Do you reckon I can get 2 tickets on the 9 feb at the sambodrome for the 11 feb show? Or is that too late ? We only arrive rio on the 9th. I'm so nervous about not getting tickets as the website won't accept my credit c

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Rio 8th-11th Feb. Carnival dates & ticket advice needed!

Thanks everyone!

If I have the chance ill update here on Saturday to let you guys know where we bought the last minute tickets! I think like davejay suggested, gonna check out how much they sell for at the Sambadrome.

Well be careful with tickets´of course.

For anyone else, have a friend that went last year, who has told me that the official tickets come in a small sealed plastic wallet. Id guess if someone trys to sell you them without that could possibly be dodgy.

Good Luck and Enjoy!