We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Topic
Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

The infinite wisdom of Brazil sometime eludes me. For some reason Brazil now has imposed a 300.reais a day limit at their ATM machines. I have also heard that EU cards are no longer accepted..

If you are thinking about traveling to Brazil, I would re-think those plans and visit somewhere else... I was considering a move to Brazil but now no longer.........

I have also read that Credit cards are being denied for purchases of over 300. reais....... WTF..!!!!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Really?? Where did you hear about this??

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Hear about it.. I’m living it... I am in Brazil and tried withdrawing 950, 900, 850, 800 and even 500.reais yesterday at 2 different banks HSBC and Banco do Brasil.. and even with my $1,000.USD a day limit on my USA cards, I kept getting the message that I am over my daily limit... Contacted my bank in the US and they said all was fine on their end. However they did not even see any record of me trying to withdraw any money in Brazil..

I did some research online and found more info. on this...

www.gringos.com.br

you may need to register to read this thread..

READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.. ESPECIALLY THE LAST 3 - 5 PAGES...

www.gringos.com.br/forum/forum_posts.asp…

feira
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Think of it this way---IF it is true (based right now on a couple of anecdotes on a site known for its high percentage of trolls and foolishness along with some sound info)----- maybe the cloners now have a limit too. :-)

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Just back from the bank and a 300.reais limit is it.... w different cards and only 300 on each card..

Edited: 01 March 2013, 19:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

I experienced this last time I was in SSA, Brasil last month. Tried to withdraw cash and it said the limit was $R 300. I thought it was specific to ATM machines at the airport and not a new ruling.

6. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 March 2013, 02:59
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

I was in Rio/Buzios last week and the friend I was traveling with had a similar problem as SamdogNY - my friend has an HSBC card and couldn't get cash but one time during the entire 10 day trip....especially troublesome in Buzios with limited inter'l atm access. Thankfully my card worked (most of the time).

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

I am telling all my friends to "STAY AWAY" from Brazil.. until this situation is changed..

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

Captmajor, then stay away from Germany, where credit cards are not accepted in MANY places (it's impressive). Sorry, but don't expect the world to be exactly like your home country, where ATMs are everywhere.

I do agree, however, that it's a total absurd to have such low limit and such difficulties in getting cash, but I don't see why not getting around it and finding other ways for getting money.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 15:01
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brazil ATM's have new withdrawal rules for foreigners.

I've only run into limits imposed by individual banks, but don't know for sure it's not a new government rule. I can't personally imagine someone who was otherwise planning on a trip to Brazil changing things because of this daily limit on ATM withdrawals, but I could be wrong. I'd doubt there will be some massive, publicized boycott that would get Brazil to change its rules. I'd be really, really, really doubtful about a credit card purchase limit of 300 Reais. Hotels would go broke. Good thing hookers don't accept credit cards (they don't, do they?).

Someone moving to Brazil could, of course, set up a Brazilian bank account and have money wired in. There are limits to that, and they've been around for years.

Edited: 02 March 2013, 15:34
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro