We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado confusion

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado confusion

A question about the cost.

The official website lists the price as R$46, which includes a RT tram ticket and admission to the monument. If you take a taxi up instead of the tram there is an additional cost for the taxi. Also I gather that the taxi does not go all the way up. I presume you get up the rest of the way by official van which is included in the $R46. So basically you have to pay the R$46 and an additional amount for taxi if you choose to use one?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado confusion

R$46 is the admission price to Corcovado, regardless if you use the tram or not.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado confusion

Sorry Rokatoo, that's not correct. If you are dropped at the second stage area, you buy a ticket there for the final van ride and admission to enter Corcovado. The cost is substantially less than R $46. In other words the cost of the Tram is deducted. I think it was R $20 entry fee .

I know this because we went up from the bottom by unofficial van in November, paying the company something like R $25 per person. Then we paid another R $20 I think for the final stage official van and Corcovado entry. The total cost was slightly less R $46, which was a selling point for the unofficial van driver. We also bypassed the long line at bottom for the Tram. The van stops at a lookout part way up for about 15 mins. Small monkeys are in that area as well as the vistas.

On the way down from Corcovado, to take the official van back to the second stage, and then catch one of the unofficial vans the rest of the way (keep you ticket to show them!)

Edited: 02 March 2013, 16:46
New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado confusion

hence, the confusion

4. Re: Corcovado confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 15:15
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado confusion

RDJTI, you were there on a more recent trip than I was, so I stand corrected!

from what we gather here, the total price ends being about the same, so I guess the decision factors are:

is it peak time (like Carnival or NYE) with long lines for the tram?

do you want a more straightforward trip or do you want multiple stages, purchases, dealing with unofficial vans?

each one will have his/her own choice.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado confusion

Just one recommendation: there have been several cases of dengue fever in Cosme Velho (the neighborhood where Corcovado Station is located). USE DEET WHEN GOING TO THE CHRIST.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,262 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado confusion

Deet appears to be losing its effectiveness against mosquitoes:

http://bbc.in/13oyGdA

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corcovado confusion

Then wear jeans if it's not too hot. It helps a little.

9. Re: Corcovado confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 07:16