We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$ exchange and time zone

Barrie, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
$ exchange and time zone

What is the exchange rate of the R$ and the US$, are US $ readily accepted?

What is the time zone?Thank you.

M.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,701 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $ exchange and time zone

One U.S. Dollar: 2.02 Brazilian Reais.

You can’t use U.S. dollars in Brazil. You must use Brazilian currency—the Real (plural: reais.)

Rio’s Time Zone: GMT/UTC—03:00 hour.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $ exchange and time zone

You can't use foreign currency in Brazil.

I recommend you exchange only the amount necessary for your ground transportation at the airport, as exchange booths have bad rates for travelers and exchange more after you settle in your hotel, as exchange booths around it will have better rates. Alternatively, use your credit card to withdrawl money at a Banco do Brasil agency close to your hotel. Avoid regular ATMs, especially at the airport.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $ exchange and time zone

Agree, don't bank on having USD accepted. The rate fluctuates daily and the exact rate you get can vary by where you get the money (cambio, ATM, etc.). Credit card exchange rate usually a tad below. I've gotten about 2.01 lately, though last week it was lower.

Brazil has 3 time zones (it is a large country), but most places you'd likely go to are currently one hour ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. Some, but not all, areas have summer time (like daylight savings time). www.worldtimezone.com/time-brazil24.php

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: $ exchange and time zone

Thanks for this topic. I am learning about Brazil. So traveling to Brazil from the U.S. Its probably a good idea to have a small amount before leaving the U.S. to pay for transportation from the airport to the hotel, then exchange at a place at or near the hotel each day or whatever based on however much I anticipate I will need? SOund about right? Also, with an ATM in Brazil, I can just take out Brazil currency? Is the exchange rate different than going to an exchange office?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,701 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $ exchange and time zone

You'll get a better rate from an ATM.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $ exchange and time zone

Thanks again Monte. I'm learning.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $ exchange and time zone

2.40 now

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $ exchange and time zone

Right now, Rio is 3 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. Fortaleza, where we are, one hour behind Rio because the state of Ceará does not go on summer time (equivalent of daylight savings time in the States).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: $ exchange and time zone

What about time that the sun sets? Specifically in June during World Cup? I'm assuming since it is winter that it would be around 5pm? Would that differ from Manaus to Natal,Rio for example?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $ exchange and time zone

@MonteCD Will ATMs have better exchange rate than cambio currency exchange places ? Thanks for all your gr8 posts on this forum.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro