We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru and Brazil in 10 Days?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Peru and Brazil in 10 Days?

Hi, I will be traveling to Peru and Rio in December of this year. We're planning to leave San Francisco on the 21st, and coming back on the 1st so that we can experience New Year's in Brazil. Our preference if to go straight to Cuzco (via Lima) and finish Machu Picchu, then spend a day or two in Lima, then enjoy the remainder of our trip in Rio. However, we also are trying to fit in Igaucu Falls into our trip. Will 10 days be enough for all this? Right now here is the time distribution: 3 days in Cuzco, 2 Days in Lima, 5 days in Rio (1/2 of which will be at Iguacu Falls). Is it doable? Will we be able to experience a lot of Rio (Sugarloaf, Christ Redeemer, the beaches) if we take 2 days to go to Iguacu? Also what will the weather be like in both places (Peru and Rio)? I also heard that Rio is not the safest city, will we be okay? Sorry for asking all the questions!

(Last note, it would be perfect if we can even get a daytrip to he Amazon in there from either Peru or Rio)

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru and Brazil in 10 Days?

you can fit Iguaçu in your itinerary, but I think you would be spending a lot of time in airports during peak travel period here.

but if you really want to do it, there is a non stop from Lima to the IGU airport (it takes 4:15 hours). you can check it out either on the LAN or TAM websites.

Rio will be hot (summer here at that time) with the possibility of some days getting close to 40 degrees Celsius. Also, there may be some rainy/cloudy days, so always good to have alternative plans while in town, as Sugar Loaf and Christ statue are only good on clear days.

You may or may not be aware that New Year's period is THE most expensive time for lodging in Rio and hotels often have minimum stays at that time. It is advisable to check if that fits with what you are planning to spend on the trip. Same go for airfares etc.

Finally, if you hold a U.S., Canadian or Australian passport, you will need to get a visa in advance. Add that cost to your budget.

Just browse the Rio de Janeiro topics here in this forum and you will find plenty of discussions and advice about safety in Rio.

Amazon: it is really far from Rio, no way you can fit that on your Brazil schedule. Look for the distance between Rio and Manaus to get an idea.

And I assume you posted your questions about Peru in the Peru forum.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru and Brazil in 10 Days?

A day trip from Rio to the Amazon would be like a day trip from New York to Houston. The Amazon is very far from Rio, so, unfortunately, I don't it's doable. I second Rokatoo's suggestion of taking a flight from Lima to IGU and then from IGU to GIG (Rio). This way, you'll spend less time in airports.

Don't forget to check your visa requirements. American citzens are required to hold a visa in order to be admitted in Brazil. There are two consulates in California: one in San Francisco and another one in Los Angeles.

Edited: 01 August 2013, 06:12
3. Re: Peru and Brazil in 10 Days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 05:18