We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Family with 16 & 8 yr boys. This may sound strange but really need it. Since Rio (Leblon Area) hotels are 220V supply, we can not use electrics from USA. We are going to Rio in mid August.

Where can we buy a sigle hot plate (like Aroma) and 3-6 cup rice cooker in Leblon area? We may need to cook some items.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
19,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

"Shopping Leblon"

This fairly new upscale shopping centre is located on Av. Afranio de Melo Franco, 290, Leblon.

"Rio Sul Shopping Centre" (Further away but probably a better choice for what you want.)

This large shopping centre has hundreds of department stores featuring fashion accessories, clothes, home wares, etc. The centre also has a Kinoplex cinema theatre with six screens, a café and a restaurant.

Address: Rua Lauro Müller 116 RJ - Botafogo.

P.S. Are you sure you'll be allowed to cook in your hotel room?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Rio Sul is a good option: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d3…

Look for a store called Casa & Vídeo, 4th floor.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 05:40
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Shopping Leblon does have a store called Fast Shop which sells household appliances and the like.

See their website (which is not a guarantee they will have it in that specific store):

fastshop.com.br/loja/…panelas-eletricas

This kind of stuff is usually way more expensive in brazil than in the usa.

Now, it sounds very odd to me that your hotel only has 220 volts... while 220V is the standard in most of Brazil, it is different in Rio, Sao paulo and some other places, which use 110V...

besides, in Rio and SP, it is usually the other way around: places may have a few 220V outlets, but the standard outlet is always 110V.

Did you get that info from the hotel itself? Or you just assumed it was like most elsewhere in Brazil?

Now, you may have problems with the new Brazilian 3-prong plugs, which are not used anywhere else in the world... But an adapter would suffice. And it also usually works with the round 2-prong appliances.

But only places built in recent years come with these silly new plugs, most buildings still have the old 2-prong plugs (and often have both the round and the flat versions).

…wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_socke…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

That would be fantastic! We will be in Sheraton Rio and they have a free shuttle to Rio Sul Mall. After we check in, our first visit will probably be this Mall.

Are there any grocery store in this Mall? We just want to buy some fresh vegetables/fruits. I know US malls do not have grocery stores, but I have seen grocery stores in malls in some other parts of the world.

Would be really nice, if there is a grocery store in Rio Sul. We can just make one stop shopping.

Thanks for your response.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

I just assumed Sheraton Rio has 220V supply. I will call and check it out.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,444 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

i did a quick web search and found out something quite interesting:

Sheraton Rio (the older one in Vidigal) is basically 110V but with 220V available.

the newer Sheraton Barra is 220V - very odd for Rio not to have 110V.

but better call the hotel to be sure, you know how unreliable web info can be.

as far as Rio Sul mall, all the info is here, in English:

http://www.riosul.com.br/en/home.html

London
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Casa e Video, Lojas Americanas, and Ponto Frio all sell electrodomestic products (these will be 110v) and have stores all over Rio, however as suggested these things are much cheaper in USA due to the high sales tax in Brazil, although you might need an adaptor, easily available.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

Lojas Americanas is also on the 4th floor. Ponto Frio is on the 1st floor, as well as Polishop. These are the main electro stores, but there might be others.

No groceries at Rio Sul, but many food courts.

Also look for Casas Bahia on the second or third floor.

From what I've seen, electric rice cookers are around R$ 70-80 (from the websites I checked - don't know if it'll be more expensive in person).

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

I suggest you write on a piece of paper:

"Panela elétrica para arroz" (rice cooking)

As for groceries, unfortunately Rio Sul doesn't have one. They do have a bakery. However, there are plenty of groceries in Leblon at a short distance by cab from your hotel. I would go to a supermarket, such as Pão de Açúcar in Leblon and then go back by cab to my hotel.

Miami
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy Hot Plate & small Rice Cooker in Rio

or print this (rice cooker):

busca.americanas.com.br/busca.php?q=panela de arroz&p=maquina de cozinhar arroz&ac=3

R$98,91 (about U$50)

and this (hot plate):

americanas.com.br/produto/…

regular price R$109 (about U$50) but this one may work on bottled gas for camping and not electricity (didn't look)

Are you certain the hotel will allow cooking in the room?

Edited: 03 August 2013, 19:14