We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

i want to go to the final match and hoping for a overall 2 week vacation next year to brazil. i may not have a friend come with me but don't want to miss out on the experience. i am planning to go to iguazu falls, salvador, and rio. How safe is it for a 20 year old asian origin teen female during the world cup??? a lot if people during that time will be present. will it be safer and good or bad?

also, any suggestions on safe neighbourhoods and transportation options will be appreciated.

thanks

Tour Guide Glayber - Private Day Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Kings Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Brummie Lines
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

If you're traveling on a budget, consider staying at a nice hostel in Ipanema or Leblon, two of the safest neighborhoods in Rio. A hostel is a great place to meet like-minded travelers.

Have a look at the links below and read the reviews to see if any of them might suit your budget and your needs. Look for the ones with a rating of 85% and above. Lemon Spirit, Harmonia, and the Mango Tree are three top choices.

http://bit.ly/cZqdu0

http://bit.ly/cUdz2F

http://bit.ly/yjNa19

http://bit.ly/17LFplu

Safety tips for first-timers in Rio:

http://bit.ly/113p9Yf

The most common forms of crime affecting tourists are pickpockets and street muggings.

Kidnapping in Rio de Janeiro, other than express kidnapping, is not an issue as it is reported to be in some other Latin American countries. (Express kidnapping [Portuguese: sequestro relâmpago] is a method of abduction where a small ransom from an employer or family member is requested. An ATM seizure, where the victim is forced to withdraw money from his or her account, is another example.)

In the past, the security risk was higher than it is today and police protection has improved significantly in the Zona Sul (Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Lagoa, Jardim Botanico) and Barra da Tijuca in the last two years. Today, although the likelihood of experiencing crime in Rio has diminished, it still exists. It has to be said that much of the crime that occurs is opportunistic crime. Meaning that criminals focus more on those they think are easy or high-value targets. For example, the elderly, someone walking alone at night, or someone wearing lots of jewelry.

While Rio does have a certain security risk involved, visitors can greatly minimize their risk by following a few common sense rules.

Try to travel in a group preferably with local friends. At night, avoid walking on the streets alone.

Be careful about public transportation at night. Take a taxi and not a bus at night. Late at night, consider booking a radio taxi or calling for a regular taxi, especially when travelling to less secure or unfamiliar locations. Many people prefer calling a taxi company rather than picking one randomly in the street. The line 1 of the underground (especially, Centro-Copacabana) is perceived as being safer that buses, but at night the entrances to the subway stations are a focal point for the homeless.

Be aware of your surroundings and others when walking on the street. Especially at night. If you see a group of young kids that look suspicious walking towards you, cross the street. Avoid dark/enclosed areas.

Do not walk around wearing flashy jewelry or expensive looking items. A basic watch or wedding band is okay (prospective criminals won't be able to distinguish between a fake Rolex or costume jewelry and the real thing).

Do not carry a lot of cash around. Carry around only enough for your expected purchases and a credit card (none if you don't expect to use it). Leave the passport and other credit cards in the safe at the hotel.

Make a copy of the biographic page of your passport and carry this with you.

Do not keep all of your money in one pocket. Distribute it in different pockets.

Take extra care when taking out money from an automatic teller machine. Beware of suspicious characters lurking near by. It is best to use the machines located inside banks, buildings and shopping centers.

Keep digital cameras in your pocket or in non-descript paper or plastic bags.

Don't leave belongings unattended.

The city centre (Centro) should be visited during work hours (but be aware of pickpocketing there); it is generally considered an empty and dangerous place during the weekend and at night—although some parts of it have been renovated, particularly the Lapa district, where many world-class samba clubs are located. Always take a taxi when visiting Lapa and make a reservation at the club you intend to visit in advance.

Rio's beaches are beautiful and seemingly tranquil, and as such may lull you into a relaxed sense of safety. It has been reported, however, that thieves are on the lookout for people who appear to be alone and have cell phones, watches, jewelry, cameras, or anything that can be quickly stolen.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 00:56
2. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 19:51
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

I wouldn't stay in Barra, which is just too far from the stadium and from most attractions. For the World Cup, you should stay somewhere with subway service, such as Ipanema and Copacabana.

But first of all, have in mind that as an Australian, you'll need a visa in order to be admitted in Brazil.

4. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 19:59
Wiltshire
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

From a football perspective you will find it unbeleivably hard to get a ticket for the final. and particularly this time as the hosts will be the favourites to get there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

thanks for taking the time to reply. i'll definitely look into it. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

Hi

I'm actually planning the same I'm going alone, I just booked my flight and hotel if u need a buddy

I'm 26 yrs old female

I booked hostel by ipanema

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

hey noreen. that's great. i haven't booked anything yet, but if or when i do, i'll definately get in contact with you:))

Bellevue, Washington
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

I just returned from Rio and am also planning to go to the World Cup final (which will be on my Birthday) assuming all the planets align and I can find a relatively affordable ticket .

I would say avoid Barre de Tijuca as I was staying there and getting to the main areas of Rio from Barra was a major PITA. We took the city bus in and out most days and traffic was just awful and the buses were crowded. If you can afford a taxi it would be better but I would recommend staying somewhere a little bit closer to the hub of Rio, a hostel would be a recommendation.

Gladstone...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to BRAZIL alone during the world cup???

Hi, I am a 32yr old male; from Jamaica but have been living here in Australia for awhile. I will be travelling alone and have been researching best options. If you need help, let me know.