We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maracana Stadium - travel times

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Maracana Stadium - travel times

I'm planning on staying in Rio the last 7-10days of the world cup - if I'm lucky enough to get tickets to games where is the best place to stay if I need to get to the stadium and try to enjoy Rio as well?

I was looking at Ipanema and Copacabana - any guesses as to travel time during world cup games to get to Maracana Stadium from this area?

Thanks!

-Bryan

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
18,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

Maracanã Stadium is located about 8 miles north of Copacabana and Ipanema. The best way to get there is by taxi; depending on traffic, it generally takes about a half-hour.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
679 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

on game days, the best way to get to maracanã is taking the subway. Ipanema station will re open on early 2014, so no problem in taking the subway.

taxis are a good option, but during the confederation cup, traffic was closed very near to maracanã, so best option is taking the subway.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

We are in Rio now attending the Judo Championships being held at Maracana stadium, we have caught the subway and its easy and cheap but can get crowded, can only imagine how bad it will be when it's busy! We attended a soccer game the other night and we were picked up in Copacabanna at 8:00 for a 9:40 game and we only just made it in time, the traffic was terrible!!!! It certainly won't be a half hour trip when busy.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

Stay in a neighborhood where there is subway service.

From more expensive to least expensive:

- Ipanema

- Copacabana

- Botafogo

My pick in Botafogo would be Ibis Botafogo: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d445417…

- Flamengo

- Largo do Machado

- Catete

My pick in Catete would be the Windsor Florida: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d305495…

- Glória

If you can't find anything elsewhere, my pick in Glória would be the Diamond Hotel: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d209829…

So, basically, give priority to Ipanema, but check if the hotel will be close enough to the subway station (at a walkable distance).

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

I sincerely don't think taking a cab is the best way to get to the stadium, especially during the World Cup. Go for the subway.

There will probably be some kind of subway pass (I imagine), just like during the World Youth Day. But nothing has been released yet.

Edited: 31 August 2013, 18:34
6. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 17:45
7. Re: Maracana Stadium - travel times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro