We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Bexhill-on-Sea...
6 posts
Save Topic
Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Hi, im travelling through south and central America from January 14 and am planning to get to Rio for the Carnival. Im travelling alone and just wanted to know from people that have travelled it alone whether it would be better to get a Carnival package or just book a hostel and tickets? is it safe? and are there lots of other people travelling alone to celebrate with?

Thanks

Louise

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
22,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

I would recommend staying at a nice hostel in Ipanema or Leblon, two of the safest neighborhoods in Rio. A hostel is a great place to meet like-minded travelers.

Keep in mind that prices often double (and sometimes triple) during Carnaval—and you may have to book for at least four or five nights because many hostels, hotels and apartments have minimum stay requirements during Carnaval.

Have a look at the links below and read the reviews to see if any of them might suit your budget and your needs. Look for the ones with a rating of 85% and above. Lemon Spirit, Harmonia, and the Mango Tree are three top choices.

http://bit.ly/17LFplu

http://bit.ly/cZqdu0

http://bit.ly/cUdz2F

http://bit.ly/yjNa19

Bexhill-on-Sea...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Thankyou for your advice! Also how do you decide on which tickets to purchase? or can you get them when your there?

Thanks

Louise

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Carnival tickets - are you asking about the main parade (Sambadrome)?

If so: It is a beautiful spectacle, no doubt unmissable, but I don't know how much of it an "outsider" needs to see. Each group (Samba School) goes on parade for 90 minutes, and you get between 6 - 8 of these groups per night. Friday and Saturday nights have the newer schools, or schools that haven't done too well in the previous year(s). Sunday and Monday in contrast have the most popular schools and the winners of the last few years. For these reasons, there are different price tiers and tickets can be easier/harder to get accordingly. I am not talking down the first 2 nights; They are great value for money and, if you are not a Carnival buff they also put an amazing show. I went on parade with one of these groups and had an unforgettable night.

It is highly recommended to pre-book if you are after a special seat on a special night. On the other hand, if you are after a taste of the party, and it doesn't "really" matter where you will seat/what you will see, you can get the ticket when you are there.

If you haven't seen the Carnival before and is not a big connosseur of Brazilian music, truth is that it could be a bit repetitive/boring to go more than one night. If it does happen to you, don't worry, there is plenty more to do in Rio, specially on Carnival week!

Some activities that I highly recommend:

- A night at Lapa

- Watching a Samba School rehearsal at their local club

- Block Party in Ipanema

- Block Party in the City Centre

- Signing up and going on parade (with costumes and all) with a school

Just to name a few. Once you get there you will find on the newspapers/flyers a day-by-day program, and your hotel reception should be able to help you decide where to go.

Safety is widely discussed on this and other forums. It's been said before - safety in numbers is key. If you think you'd enjoy going on a tour, it is probably a great way of keeping these numbers high. If you go solo, make sure to interact and make friends at the hostel and explore the city with other fellow travellers. Do not save on transport at night and catch taxis to go back to the hostel on this occasions.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 14:46
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Im also going to Rio for the parade by myself but was thinking of staying at a hostel to meet some people! Maybe we can meet up? Anyhow I would love to participate in the parade but Im a bit lost in how it works. louisemul1990, you seem to know a lot about the carneval so maybe you could tell me some more? :)

Bexhill-on-Sea...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

wow thankyou so much for all your advise its been really helpful, its hard to know what you want to do when you get there thats why i didnt want to book anything, but yeah im just there for the experience really, but that has definately been extremely helpful thankyou!

Hi Anya1992! yeah that would be great to meet up! when are you getting there? have you booked accomadation yet? i dont really know much to be honest, just know i want to experience it! ha, do you have facebook? xxx

London, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Thanks for the info - just what I was looking for.

I'm staying around Ipanema during festival. PM me if you want to meet up.

Can't wait!!

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Hi sorry for the late respond..I get there around february 13th. I havent booked yet, still deciding. Have you booked yet? yes I have its just Anja Eliasson :) from sweden!

Macae, RJ
Level Contributor
108 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

If some of you are goin to 'march', let us know. As a brazilian, I hope you can learn some of our 'sambas-enredo'.

Anya,

If you get here around February 13th probably there'll be those free entrance rehearsals at Sambodrome. The usually happen on Friday / Saturday / Monday. As soon as LIESA ('samba school league') informs the calendar, I'll share it in a new topic.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

Okey thanks a lot. I will definitely march! I am so excitied!

Macae, RJ
Level Contributor
108 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio Carnival ? carnival packages or solo

I hope you can enjoy. I really love our Carnival.

When you decide when you're coming and what samba school you have chosen, tell us. I'll probably watch the Samba School parade next year too!