We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Rio to São Paulo

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flight from Rio to São Paulo

Hi Forum Experts,

I need a one way ticket to fly from Rio to São Paulo during Easter week 2014. There are m ay flights between the 2 cities. Do you suggest that I book the ticket now, or should I wait? Also, I am definitely going to fly into Congonhas in São Paulo, but is it better to fly out of GIG or SDU airport in Rio? GIG tickets are cheaper. Is flying out this airport okay? (Okay meaning not super long lines and not too chaotic. I am flying into GIG from NYC btw.)

Any thoughts on Tam versus Gol? Does it really matter for a 45 minute flight?

Thanks!

Edited: 25 October 2013, 21:45
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

GIG tickets are cheaper because this is the international airport, located further away. If you're staying in the South Side (Ipanema, Copacabana, Leblon, etc), the SDU is much closer, which means you'll spend less on a cab.

I don't think there is a major difference between TAM and Gol. TAM is slightly better in terms of service, but both companies are overall pretty similar.

Tickets for this route tend to get very expensive, so I would definitely book in advance.

Cheers

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

i agree with #1.

buy TAM or Gol depending on price. for such a short flight it really makes no difference at all.

only other consideration is if you are a mileage addict, as each airline will credit miles in different partners... in any case, cheap fares tend to give little or no miles...

also look at the other 2 airlines, but they have far fewer flights: Avianca Brasil and Azul.

i would buy from GIG if you are already going to be there for some reason. or if it much cheaper - as it will cost you more (time and money) to get to GIG than to SDU.

and book early.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

Also consider Avianca, which is considered better than Gol and TAM.

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

The price difference looks like $40 USD for each ticket... So that's an $80 difference. How much is a taxi from Copacabana to GIG versus one to SDU? If the difference is like $20 or so, I will book TAM through GIG. I like booking early, but 5 1/2 months leaves room for schedule changes, and I am planning around the flight departure.

So is GIG a nicer airport than SDU? I know one is domestic and one is international...

Also, does anyone know if the Hippie Fair in Ipanema will be open in Easter Sunday 2014? What time does it open?

Obrigado!

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
844 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

Gol is a terrible airline, I used them for a three-hour flight two months ago, no catering at all (unless you pay), no television, a shabby inflight magazine with chewing gum stuck to it. All we got was half a plastic cup of warm water.

I have never used TAM but heard they're just as bad, no catering either (unless you pay).

All the airlines think about is profit.

Conclusion - why not take the bus? It's 6 hours from Rio to SP with nice reclining seats (especially if you take the leito or sleeper), much better than what Gol has to offer, and a lot cheaper too. There is one refreshment stop and (different from flights with their ridiculous restrictions on liquids) you can easily take a bottle of water or a soft drink aboard with you.

The sleeper ticket costs around R$ 120 which is USD 50 more or less. The conventional bus is R$ 67 but still comfortable, and the Golden Bus is of intermediate quality at R$ 100 (This information refers to Itapemirim, my favourite company on this route)

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

LOL Paul Dixon... We have airlines here in the US that give you far less than even Gol or TAM... One airline charges $2 USD for water, food and other drinks are way more, a checked bag is $35 and a carry on bag is $30. So Gol and TAM don't seem so bad to me! The flight is under a hour, so I don't really have a need for anything other than a safe and hopefully on time arrival.

I would consider the bus, but I have very limited time in Sao Paulo before flying home via GRU, and I just don't have the 6 hours to spare. But thank you for the suggestion. I booked a ticket on TAM. I think it will be fine. I would have waited to book, but the forum convinced me to take care of it now.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 12:03
Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

It's a 35 minutes flight! You don't need a meal

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

i often book flights SP-Rio for about R$110 each way (taxes included) - you just have to book in advance and have a flexible schedule to avoid the peak hour prices. and you are there in 45 minutes instead of 5 hours (and most of the road scenery along the way is of no interest). of course, if you need to travel on peak periods, then prices go up substantially - supply and demand in force. and, for people who are terrified of flying, the bus it is.

and who goes on airplanes to eat nowadays? airlines worldwide have cut back severely on short-flight catering. long gone are the days when there was this kind of "free" service. and we used to pay a lot more for airfare to have some "food" for "free". much better to save the money and have a better meal once in land again... and you can always carry on your favorite snack/sandwich if you want to.

i actually find Gol quite reasonable for domestic flights... way better than the European-style of companies like Ryanair, where you pay everything extra... even for a boarding pass if you dont bring one on A4 paper! (though heard they will drop that as it is a really unfriendly policy).

TAM is only marginally better servicewise, but as airlines are losing a ton of money lately (high fuel prices), they are cutting costs like crazy too. TAM is even shutting down the air conditioning while the plane is still on the tarmac.

9. Re: Flight from Rio to São Paulo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro