We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machine in Brasil.

auckland
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machine in Brasil.

Earlier on in the year their was talk of ATM machines only releasing small amounts of Reais. And only certain hours etc. How is the situation now there. What is the maximum amount you can withdraw from ATM at present. We will be in RDJ, Paraty and Brasilia over December - January.?

Apart from the already stated, keep your card with you at all times and cover your pin well any other tips? Just thought I had better do a bit of reasearch as the journey is not so far away.

Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machine in Brasil.

I'll answer the second part of your post, as I am not totally sure of the current limits right now. What I can say regarding safety/securtiy is: avoid ATMs located in public areas (airports, subway stations, restaurants, etc). Stick to the ones located inside bank lobbies, such as Banco do Brasil, Citibank, HSBC, Santander, etc. Unfortunately, there seems to be a relation between ATM machines located in public spaces and frauds targeting international cards. Brazilian cards have more passwords (random questions on screen, two pins, etc), so it's harder to fall in a scam if your card is issued here, but international cards seem to be easier to be frauded.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
475 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machine in Brasil.

The amount of money ATM release depends on the time of the day, if it is a holiday, bank brand and the type of your card.

Cheers!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machine in Brasil.

a lot of the fraud seems to be connected with cards issued in the USA and other countries which only have cards with magnetic stripes... and not embedded chips (like cards in Brazil and Europe)...

dont know how it is in NZ, but if you have the option, do bring a card which requires chip+PIN, these are way safer.

4. Re: ATM machine in Brasil.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro